Koodo Community
Question

Charged For Easy Roam While in Mexico But Phone Was Not Used

• 17 April 2024
  • 5 replies

I was in Mexico for the last week of March.  I had data roaming set to “Off” on my cell plan on my iPhone.  I also did not answer my phone and I did not send a text that was a regular SMS “green” text on my phone.  I did utilize iMessage and WhatsApp while using the resort’s WiFi and I had also purchased a data-only eSIM for Mexico which was to cover me while I was down there just in case I needed data.  However, I was never out of wifi the entire time as I didn’t leave the resort.

I have received my Koodo bill and 4 of the 8 days I was in the country have the $16 charge for Easy Roam.  

How can I see what would have triggered the charge?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there @cherylg 

For a detailed view of how the charges were triggered, you can download the invoice as PDF.  You can also check the usage in the Self Serve account as well. 

Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any follow up questions. 

Thanks @Darius Koodo

I have some more info here and some questions as the bill seems weird to me.  There are 2 images showing when Roaming was charged.   Mar 26th appears to be valid as there was a 1 minute call.  My wife remembers making a call that wasn’t Facetime by mistake (I checked the phone history and it shows a 16 second call around that time, so must be it, so let’s forget about that one.

These ones are issues for me:

Mar 24th was charged.  There is no outgoing calls/texts and the data for that day shows two “data usage” lines at 6:01PM and 10:33PM.  These are after we arrived in Mexico (arrived at 5:30PM), but show 0.00MB

Mar 29th was charged.  There is a summary of 0.00MB on the main line but expanding it shows 0.21MB.  

Mar 30th was charged.  There is a summary of 0.21MB but the line detail is 0.00MB. 

I find all three strange as data roaming was turned off and has always been turned off on her phone for the Koodo SIM.  Especially strange as we had an eSIM from a 3rd party that was set to handle the data that we set up prior to leaving Canada.

Also interesting is Mar 25th.  Shows data usage all day in the details, but a summary of 0.00 MB for the total on that line.

Any advice given?  I feel like Mar 26th is the only valid charge from what our usage would have been.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have flagged a rep to help you out.

To avoid this from happening again, make sure to remove the Koodo SIM card from your phone before travelling abroad. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there @cherylg 

We can see that data usage is present in the days that we see the Easy Roam charges. It is indeed a small amount, however it is enough to trigger the roaming as it adds up. This usually happens when background apps are using mobile data, even a weather app or widget can trigger internet usage, depending on how the settings are set on the phone. 

Small data usage can mean a 0.009 mb instances (amount varies), which would be a smaller amount of what we can show, in some cases, in the Self Serve, since it goes to  minimum x.yy mb. 

If you want to investigate this further, feel free to schedule a call-back with our Koodo Assist for a bill investigation with our tech support team.

HI @Darius Koodo ,

We live the SIM in and activated (it is an eSIM now) because we want to see missed calls and receive inbound SMS.  In the settings Data Roaming toggle is switched to off.

Have you seen where data is going through the other provider even though roaming is disabled?  It seems very peculiar.