Koodo Community
Question

billed after cancelling account

On 26Apr24, I cancelled my account. I logged on to Self Serve and confirmed I had no outstanding charges to pay. Last payment was made 11Apr24, on a monthly plan. I removed my automatic payment method after receiving a confirmation email that the account had been cancelled. A few hours later, a charge for the full amount regularly billed each month was posted and marked "due by May 21". However, there is no bill available to view that corresponds to this period. I am clearly missing something, but I am also leaving the country soon, so I am not sure what to do. Do I owe the full amount for this month, even though I have cancelled the account prior to the end of the billing cycle? Any help is appreciated!

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo always sent another bill,  after your cancellation to settle all the fee between you and Koodo. As of now, can you log into your self-serve and check your latest bill? I would recommend you download the PDF bill, and check the page 3 and 4 of it to see if the cancellation was done correctly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Also, how did you cancel your service?

If your due date is the 21st of the month, I assume your bill date is the 26th.  And you cancelled your service on the bill date That's why you received another bill.

Is your due amount adjusted? Did you have any tab left on your account?

There was no bill available to view when I made this post. It's there now, though. The pay period stated on the bill is 25April24 to 24May24. Unfortunately, my due amount was not adjusted at all. I never had a tab with Koodo.

Oh, and I cancelled my account by porting my number to a different company.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There was no bill available to view when I made this post. It's there now, though. The pay period stated on the bill is 25April24 to 24May24. Unfortunately, my due amount was not adjusted at all. I never had a tab with Koodo.

If 25th is your billing date, wait for 2,3 days for the new bill to be generated. There should be a pdf bill to explain for all the fee. They can't charge you without any explanation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @lalacitrus 

We see that you discussed with a rep over the phone in the meantime,.

The transfer of the number was initiated after the April bill was issued. In this case, a prorated amount for the plan will apply on the final bill. You will have 90 access to your self serve account after cancelation: https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/things-know-about-cancelling-koodo

Thank you, @Flo Koodo

I was able to pay the prorated amount of the bill through the phone (about $4). However, the total amount of the current bill did not change, as the prorated amount will only be available with the final bill. Since I will be leaving the country soon (long term) and removed my CC on file, I would not be able to cash a cheque or use the CC to receive credit for overpayment if I paid the full amount of the bill. Would the fact that I only paid a partial amount of the bill this month be reported to a credit bureau and affect my credit? I do plan to return to Canada eventually. Thank you all for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@lalacitrus  Late payments can impact the credit score, more info here 

The current bill will become overdue 2 before the final bill date (the final bill might take 2-3 days after the bill date to appear on your account)

@Flo Koodo so either I overpay an amount I don't actually owe, or have my credit score affected? This doesn't seem right.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We understand that this may not be ideal, however, this is the process in place when porting out. The prorated adjustment will appear on the final bill and will then refunded by cheque or to the credit card on file, if there was any set-up for pre-authorized payment.

We have just sent you a PM, please check it out under your community profile when you get the chance.