Koodo Community
News

What is an eSIM and an eSIM voucher?

• 9 January 2020
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

An eSIM is an embedded SIM. Like a physical SIM card, an eSIM from Koodo allows you to connect to the Koodo mobile network.

An eSIM voucher contains a digital SIM that lets you access a cellular plan without having to insert a physical SIM card. This eSIM voucher also allows you to use up to two phone numbers on select smartphones.

An eSIM voucher can't be inserted or removed.

For more information please visit: https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/esim-and-esim-vouchers

15 replies

Are the vouchers available in store now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are the vouchers available in store now?

They answered in the thread….

To move one of your phone numbers to an eSIM, purchase an eSIM voucher at your nearest Koodo store and complete a SIM-swap using Self Serve. Check out our Store Locator page.

Koodo eSIM vouchers are not available at retail partner locations (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc).

For an iPhone, does the physical primary SIM card need to be a Koodo sim, or can it be from another provider?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does the physical primary SIM card need to be a Koodo sim, or can it be from another provider?

Primary sim can be from anyone!

Are esims transferable when you get a new phone or do you have to purchase a new voucher each time?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are esims transferable when you get a new phone or do you have to purchase a new voucher each time?

You need to buy another one….

“ once an eSIM profile is deleted from the phone, you can’t scan the same eSIM voucher into another phone. An eSIM voucher can be used and scanned only once. You’ll need to purchase an eSIM voucher at your nearest Koodo store and complete a SIM-swap using Self Serve. “

“ once an eSIM profile is deleted from the phone, you can’t scan the same eSIM voucher into another phone. An eSIM voucher can be used and scanned only once. You’ll need to purchase an eSIM voucher at your nearest Koodo store and complete a SIM-swap using Self Serve. “

Sounds like a rip-off, and another money grab.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Wow so 20 bucks each time? Yup that's a rip off. Pretty bad when big blue is the only one not charging for it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Whoaahhh!! So much for swapping phones on a regular basis!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sounds like a rip-off, and another money grab.

It was a well-known issue with eSIM for all carriers with eSIM. Different phone would require different eSIM “code/voucher”.

The issue is the money that carriers ask to generate each eSIM.

If you are a frequent SIM swapper and don’t have access to self-serve to activate your SIM, don’t use eSIM or get a true “dual physical” SIM phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It's just too bad that what is supposed to be easy and convenient swapping or even storage of carrier profiles is being derailed by such absurd greed.

Much confusion on switching physical Koodo sim for eSIM.  Documentation on process for iOS is written for new activations. If your device is already activated/active and unlocked, simply purchase the voucher in-store and perform a sim-swap online. Presto - eSIM done. You can ignore all the “secondary line only” info which caused much confusion in-store. (No fault of the agents...poor technical writing and inadequate FAQs)

Userlevel 7

It takes years for Koodo’s not poorly paid developers to implement this, and then they can’t even write proper instructions. None of that “must be” primary or secondary line nonsense should be there for iPhone. You likely need an internet connection to add the eSIM, and they forgot what Wi-Fi is.

I will be traveling to Europe and want to buy an airalo e-sim for my iPhone. Will it work? Or fo I need to buy something from Koodo to travel without easy roam for data? Thx!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I will be traveling to Europe and want to buy an airalo e-sim for my iPhone. Will it work? Or fo I need to buy something from Koodo to travel without easy roam for data? Thx!

That is a question for airalo to make to sure your phone would be compatible with their services!