Koodo Community
Question

Name change and credit reference letter

I was wondering how to go about actually changing your legal name/gender with Koodo, when nothing seems to work? I have tried calling, and they told me to visit a store in person, but any of the authorised places and even regular Koodo ones all tell me they’re unable to do it and to just call, so realistically what are my options? I keep having to run in circles and it’s tiring.

My other issue is BCHydro declined my credit check and wants me to send them a credit reference letter from Koodo by a few weeks, in my new name. Besides the whole name change thing, how do I go about even getting a reference letter?

help would be much appreciated!! I wish I could do this stuff over live chat, and it’s a shame Koodo doesn’t have any of those options especially for disabled folks.

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi there,

are you sure you’re visiting a corporate Koodo retailer?(not Walmart etc). They simply have to fill out a “name change form” it shouldn’t be that difficult for them to find. They were correct to send you to a Koodo location as it is just a quick and simple form, you just need to be the account holder and verify your ID in a store. Once filled out it takes 48 hours to update on your account but that’s all. The reason they can’t do it through a chat as they have to verify it’s you where as you can be anyone on in a chat. I imagine they should be able to do it over the phone too, I imagine the store rep just didn’t know what they were doing as I said before it is a simple form to fill out. 

Hi there,

are you sure you’re visiting a corporate Koodo retailer?(not Walmart etc). They simply have to fill out a “name change form” it shouldn’t be that difficult for them to find. They were correct to send you to a Koodo location as it is just a quick and simple form, you just need to be the account holder and verify your ID in a store. Once filled out it takes 48 hours to update on your account but that’s all. The reason they can’t do it through a chat as they have to verify it’s you where as you can be anyone on in a chat. I imagine they should be able to do it over the phone too, I imagine the store rep just didn’t know what they were doing as I said before it is a simple form to fill out. 

The issue is nobody seems to want to do it, but I can try again at the store. How can you tell if it’s authorised or a regular store? I have one left I haven’t tried that says Telus/Koodo, but that’s it.

Doing verification over the phone isn’t very secure either though, because like chat you can claim you’re somebody without actually having proof (even if you had that persons ID). I just wish they would do it in the store as it’s easier to explain, and should be faster.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Sorry I forgot to add, for the reference letter I don’t believe a store rep can do that for you, I am pretty sure you would have to ask for one by doing a call back with a rep over the phone. They have more tools than store reps, though I am not 100% sure about the letter this is just what I would do. I hope this helps 🙂👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

The issue is nobody seems to want to do it, but I can try again at the store. How can you tell if it’s authorised or a regular store? I have one left I haven’t tried that says Telus/Koodo, but that’s it.

Doing verification over the phone isn’t very secure either though, because like chat you can claim you’re somebody without actually having proof (even if you had that persons ID). I just wish they would do it in the store as it’s easier to explain, and should be faster.

So locations like Walmart Costco etc are not corporate store locations. Primarily kiosks in malls or Telus stores tend to be, though an easy way would be to call the store before hand and ask as this normally isn’t public knowledge

So locations like Walmart Costco etc are not corporate store locations. Primarily kiosks in malls or Telus stores tend to be, though an easy way would be to call the store before hand and ask as this normally isn’t public knowledge

Oh okay, it’s been really confusing. Because I only have five of them in town and one of them is a kiosk, but the rest are just buildings, and all of them so far have claimed it’s not something they can do so call. 

I can try tomorrow at the one I have downtown, but I unfortunately feel like they won’t be able to help me either. The whole thing has already been stressful and embarrassing. 😔

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Oh okay, it’s been really confusing. Because I only have five of them in town and one of them is a kiosk, but the rest are just buildings, and all of them so far have claimed it’s not something they can do so call. 

I can try tomorrow at the one I have downtown, but I unfortunately feel like they won’t be able to help me either. The whole thing has already been stressful and embarrassing. 😔

Yeah I am sorry to hear that I can imagine it’s a huge pain, especially as I said it’s a pretty simple thing to do. I realized you can check this link with your postal code and whichever location says “Koodo store” or “Telus store” would be a corporate locations where as the others are not. I hope this will help it go smoother next time. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/find-nearest-store?

Yeah I am sorry to hear that I can imagine it’s a huge pain, especially as I said it’s a pretty simple thing to do. I realized you can check this link with your postal code and whichever location says “Koodo store” or “Telus store” would be a corporate locations where as the others are not. I hope this will help it go smoother next time. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/find-nearest-store?

By using that map it only lists two places, and neither of them say Telus or Koodo in the name, does that mean I’m screwed? There’s three other Koodo places in town but for some reason they’re not listed in the map. 🫤

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I presume in that case they’re probably not corporate stores, though you can try to call them just to be safe, but it’s likely you’re in a bit of a pickle. Are you able to look into a neighbouring town or other location to see if there is a corporate store there? My only other suggestion would be to try calling but you have tried that and haven’t had any luck with it, though they should have access to the same form. So all that leaves is to find a store that can do it I guess. Sorry for the predicament it sucks that it’s turning out to be quite a hassle.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What kind of credit reference do you want from Koodo though? They are just a corporation like BC hydro. If you want you can print out your latest bill with your name on it and bring it to them. 

If someone want to validate your identity, they should ask for passport, driver license, SIN, or official letter from the government. You can also ask your bank to print our your name and address. 

What kind of credit reference do you want from Koodo though? They are just a corporation like BC hydro. If you want you can print out your latest bill with your name on it and bring it to them. 

If someone want to validate your identity, they should ask for passport, driver license, SIN, or official letter from the government. You can also ask your bank to print our your name and address. 

I believe they want a credit reference letter on bill payments, as I already gave them my personal information. They mentioned something about being unable to do a credit check for some reason.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Your payment history with Koodo should be included in your PDF bill, if you would like, you could download several latest PDF bill from Koodo and send it to them.

Your payment history with Koodo should be included in your PDF bill, if you would like, you could download several latest PDF bill from Koodo and send it to them.

Unfortunately that wouldn’t do, as like when you look at your credit score, it lists if you’ve paid your bills on time every month for a year. Well that and I need my name with Koodo changed to match what is on my current ID, so this whole thing is a mess and time limited.

I presume in that case they’re probably not corporate stores, though you can try to call them just to be safe, but it’s likely you’re in a bit of a pickle. Are you able to look into a neighbouring town or other location to see if there is a corporate store there? My only other suggestion would be to try calling but you have tried that and haven’t had any luck with it, though they should have access to the same form. So all that leaves is to find a store that can do it I guess. Sorry for the predicament it sucks that it’s turning out to be quite a hassle.

Like most things it should be easy, but unfortunately people make it harder than it has to be. That store will probably be a dead end as well, but is there any way to schedule a callback with Koodo, but explain the situation before they call you?

I honestly don’t want to explain everything all over again on the phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately that wouldn’t do, as like when you look at your credit score, it lists if you’ve paid your bills on time every month for a year. Well that and I need my name with Koodo changed to match what is on my current ID, so this whole thing is a mess and time limited.

Here is Koodo credit check requirements https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/credit-check-requirements 

I think bchydro should have something similar.

If a Koodo rep mentioned they can't do it for you, I guess you have to follow up with bC Hydro. It is an issue with BCHydro though, not Koodo.

Here is Koodo credit check requirements https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/credit-check-requirements 

I think bchydro should have something similar.

If a Koodo rep mentioned they can't do it for you, I guess you have to follow up with bC Hydro. It is an issue with BCHydro though, not Koodo.

I was finally able to get my name changed, but was told by customer service that Koodo doesn’t give credit reference letters, which doesn’t help me.

If I can’t get that letter and my credit check fails I fear I’m sol, and really don’t want to pay the security deposit.