Koodo Community

Community

Windows phones please.

Koodo used to have windows phones available, but since they stopped carrying them I've been buying windows phones and bringing them to my Koodo account ... this process is becoming less preferable as my tab accounts are now totally useless, and other providers are offering windows phones ... although Koodo reps at kiosks continually indicate windows phones are coming, it has been years and still nothing.  Therefore its time to switch providers again.  The rest of the world (Europe/Asia/Middle East) have it right ... providers should never sell handsets, just provide the network and let people get their phones wherever they like.
I'll ask one more time ... when will Koodo carry windows phones?  If there is no plan to carry them anymore, then what is the benefit of the "tab" if you prefer to use windows devices?

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Buy a phone with your tab credits and resell it, then buy an unlocked Windows phone from the MS store.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There's absolutely zero benefit to the tab under the new system, as getting any phone on the tab adds to your monthly cost. Sure, you're spreading your payment over 24 months without interest, but you're not saving money. As such, you're free to shop around.
I'm a big fan of Windows Phones and have been using my Lumia 830 since December from another provider that I then had unlocked.

Userlevel 1
Highly unlikely with Windows recent stance considering they wrote of the Nokia purchase is a big indicator on what they plan and if Microsoft isn't backing it I doubt phone carriers Wil come. Running to support new phones
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Todd wrote:

Highly unlikely with Windows recent stance considering they wrote of the Nokia purchase is a b...

Microsoft "writing off" the Nokia purchase is irrelevant. That's a financial move to eliminate the dedicated phone division. In fact, they rolled their entire device divisions into one hardware division (Phone, Xbox, Surface, etc.). Microsoft is releasing Windows 10, which is to run on phones, tablets, and traditional PCs. How do you figure that they aren't backing Windows 10?
Todd wrote:

Highly unlikely with Windows recent stance considering they wrote of the Nokia purchase is a b...

Correct Ivan ... Todd is confused about the handset manufacturers (OEMs) and service provider (SP) relationships.  In short, SPs just want the best "kick-backs" from the OEMs.

OEMs offer "incentives" to SPs to make large purchases of certain models of mobile devices ... these quickly become the most "popular" mobile devices, not necessarily the "best".  Microsoft offers to the SPs are not as attractive as some of the other OEMs, it's that simple.

Having the world's most common OS on all your devices (pc/laptop/tablet/phone/game consol/whatever) ... just makes good sense.  Zero learning curve to operate, everything is the same (in sync) across your devices, and the cost is lower to boot.

Eg, Samsung has great offers to the SPs for several of their Andriod devices, but less of an offer for their windows devices.  Therefore you see more Andriod devices in the SP stores ... but in the OEM and retail outlets that sell devices only (no service deals), the price of the windows devices are often much lower than the comparable Android devices.