Koodo Community

Community

Windows 8 Phones for Koodo !!

Hi, if you are like me and love the new Windows phones such as the Nokia Lumia 920, HTC 8X or Samsung Ativ S. Then ask yourself, why hasn't Koodo released one? Personally I don't think that it is a matter of getting one of those phones but finding us, customers, the best phone for our money that affordable and powerful. Well, as I was overseas I found two phones to consider: Nokia Lumia 820 or Lumia 620. Both are windows 8 and look similar to their big bro the Lumia 920. My questions to people is, should Koodo consider these windows phones??

60 replies

Hi Maharus, I have been waiting to get a WP8 phone with Koodo since november. In fact I had to send my clients to Rogers and Telus because they wanted a new Windows Phone 8. I would love to see a Nokia Lumia 920 from Koodo since they offer iPhones. I own a Nokia 610 from them since september 2012. I like this model for Nokia's quality and native GPS but I was shocked to read that this phone was not providing all features like Skype because of the weakness of the memory and processor... (256MB RAM and 800 MHz) So I really hope to see at least the Nokia 820 if the new 620 is not fully able to run all kind of apps from the Windows Phone store. This issue will be determining if I stay with Koodo for the next year. I will absolutly regret the great service they gave me in the past.
Userlevel 6
Jean Philippe wrote:

Hi Maharus, I have been waiting to get a WP8 phone with Koodo since november. In fact I had to...

Since you love Koodo's service, it may be wise to buy the phone unlocked and bring it over. Believe me, you don't want to trade great service for a one-time deal on a phone you'll keep for 12-24 months. And in the long term, you come out ahead financially too, even if the initial cost is way higher.
Userlevel 3
Jean Philippe wrote:

Hi Maharus, I have been waiting to get a WP8 phone with Koodo since november. In fact I had to...

This is what I did with my 920, My pocket took a good hit as it came in around 700$ after the unlock. Awesome phone though.
Jean Philippe wrote:

Lumia 920 on kijiji - around $400, Rogers open box $325+tx
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo is getting the HTC 8S soon
Rogers has exclusivity on the 920 so you won't see it at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo is getting the HTC 8S and the Nokia Lumia 620 soon.
Userlevel 6
Ivan wrote:

Going to get me a 620, just because :oD
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

I'll be tempted too. Microsoft is aiming at a unified experience across the price range so I want to see how an entry-level WP8 phone performs.
Userlevel 6
Ivan wrote:

I got a 610 last year, also just because, and I ended up liking it. It has since become the phone I bring to work, because it was cheap and I wouldn't cringe as much if I somehow destroyed it. Now, the 620 has an SD slot and dual core. If it stays cheap, or close to last year's price, it's a sure buy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

I'm predicting a $249 to 279 release price. Somehow destroy a Nokia phone?
Userlevel 6
Ivan wrote:

sounds reasonable! And yeah, although it's carved from a block of pure adamantium, I doubt it'd survive a drop in industrial fluids :oD
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

lol
I would consider a W8 device if they got a good one. Might grab a Z10 instead
Userlevel 2
Derek wrote:

It would be great if they came out with the 920 on Koodo, Rogers can't have exclusivity on it forever...
Derek wrote:

Yeah, thats what Im hoping for. Would love to grab a 920, or the next iteration of it. Have a HTC One V atm
Userlevel 2
Derek wrote:

If I was going to grab a windows phone it would for sure be the 920, or the 940 when that drops. The 620 with koodo though is something I'm sure a lot of people will like, the pricepoint fits very well with what koodo seems to be after.
Derek wrote:

Agreed, but I do hope they decide to offer something better than the 620 or 8S
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Derek wrote:

I don't think they will till there bis more demand for Windows phones, at less than 10% of the market it isn't worth carrying a high end that only a small # of ppl are going to want.
Derek wrote:

Oh i know....but I can dream haha
Userlevel 2
Derek wrote:

That market share will never go up though unless carriers at least start offering more windows 8 devices. Kinda hard to get to 10% when the only devices available are the 920 on Rogers and some entry level handsets on value carriers...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Derek wrote:

it's worth it to just buy it outright from elsewhere and bring it to Koodo, you make up the difference you'd be paying at the big 3 on a plan pretty quick. I like how durable nokia windows phones are, they really impressed me I just find the OS boring and plain personally.
Derek wrote:

I do find it a little plain as well, which is one reason why I am considering the Z10 instead. I have been impressed by its UI. Or perhaps the next iteration of the Z10 since it really was supposed to be launched last December and will be "outdated" by spring/summer. Really, the only reason I am considering a WP8 is because I have a W8 desktop and Surface RT tablet. My desktop and tablet sync without any effort on my part, so I figured a WP8 just made sense
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Derek wrote:

Ya BlackBerry 10 OS looks so good that I'm getting one to check out & perhaps switch from my Galaxy Note 2.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Derek wrote:

As weird as this is coming from me (a WP8 fan), I'll say it: You don't need a WP8 phone to have a good experience with your RT and Win 8 desktop. I also have an RT/desktop detup that I love. Microsoft has been really good at providing its software on competing platforms. SkyDrive and OneNote are found both on iOS and Android. So is Xbox SmartGlass. Actually, the Z10 is the last thing I'd recommend to you for integration right now. It'll come for sure, but these cross-platform apps aren't available yet. The reason I'm using an iPhone 5 over a Lumia 920 is the size. The Lumia is massive and I don't like that. The 920's lighter, aluminum successor is likely to be announced at MWC, along with a WP8 phone with 808 PureView's 41MP sensor.