Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Will Koodo be getting any more Windows Phones? I love mine I want a nicer one, like the Lumia 830!!

I Love Windows Phone

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi JP, You can always go to another carrier who sells the phone and buy it outright unlocked and bring it over to Koodo if they don't have it. They don't seem to focused on the windows phones though so it might take a while for Koodo to any new ones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

Hi JP, You can always go to another carrier who sells the phone and buy it outright unlocked a...

Also available in Microsoft stores, and online at the Microsoft shop.
Mathieu wrote:

Hi JP, You can always go to another carrier who sells the phone and buy it outright unlocked a...

I called Koodo they said its odd they don't have one at the moment and will likely get another one soon. I am now on a notification list. 🙂
Userlevel 5
Not impossible but unlikely.

Windows phones are just not as popular as the other devices. Not a lot of carriers tend to stock them. If you're ever state side, they seem to be more of them down there. I see a lot of people bringing them back unlocked from the states at pretty impressive outright prices.
I feel that they are not as popular because the reps do not know anything about them. They are great devices with a great OS.
Userlevel 5
JP Deveau wrote:

I feel that they are not as popular because the reps do not know anything about them. They are gr...

No, the other way around. The reps don't know a lot about them because they don't carry them.

I work in cell phones and very seldom have anyone directly ask for a windows phone. I only see people talk about their Windows phone that they got somewhere else, whether online or state side.

I think people are attracted to..

1. Content; which windows lacks right now in apps and games.

2. Status Symbols; which speaks for Apple and Samsung. People want devices that everyone else has simple as that.
Userlevel 7
JP Deveau wrote:

I feel that they are not as popular because the reps do not know anything about them. They are gr...

Yeah, I personally would not get a Windows phone but some of my co-workers have one and love theirs and would not go any other way. Justin is right about the status symbol, Samsung and Apple looks "cooler" and their is a lack of content, but it is getting much better than when it launched!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
For the past few years Koodo has only offered one windows device each year and it's always an entry level device, so I wouldn't ever expect them to offer the 830 or anything of that level although I'd love to see it just don't get your hopes up. If they get another windows device ID highly expect another entry level.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I didn't let Koodo's decision not to offer the 830 prevent me from getting a silver, unlocked 830 🙂 Got myself all 4 colours of the backplate as well.
Ivan wrote:

I didn't let Koodo's decision not to offer the 830 prevent me from getting a silver, unlocked 830...

I know another Canadian carrier has the 830 for no charge on contract, the thing is I don't really want to switch. So even the 640 would be ok, being the update to the 635 it has a HD screen and front camera now.
Userlevel 7
Windows Phone has some cool tricks up its sleeve but the app gap is still real. They have closed it a little bit this past year or so with major stuff like BBM, Instagram (I don't use it though), Vine, etc. Then there's the usual Netflix, Spotify, Skype, Tunein Radio, and so on. The problem is they're missing stuff I use like Mobilesyrup for quick reading without opening the mobile site. It's also missing a lot of banking apps (like PC financial that I use) and it's really sad that there isn't even a Telus OR Koodo My Account app. I have to pin a shortcut to the mobile site instead. Lame. Plus, there's still features/options that are missing from these versions of the apps. It takes a longer time to get updates from devs. I like some of the customization options on Windows Phone like the tiles, but the settings menu drives me crazy because there's no icons and no organization whatsoever. I'm glad this is being updated in WP 10. Same with the quick toggles in the notifications bar going from 4 to 8 and they're finally adding more colour options for the themes! I think Windows Phone is cool to use and some of the handsets have a unique design, but the OS needs some more refinement and devs need to get off their butts and update/create more apps for it to make it popular.
Jonathan I wrote:

Windows Phone has some cool tricks up its sleeve but the app gap is still real. They have closed ...

They have all the apps I use except for banking. So I do the same thing lol Pin the mobile site.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Windows Phone has some cool tricks up its sleeve but the app gap is still real. They have closed ...

I really have no problem pinning sites I need as "apps". I also read MobileSyrup daily - and I don't even pin it as I don't use their app on competing ecosystems (in fact, I didn't even know that they had one). I pin stuff like Kijiji, BestBuy, and Canadian Tire. I see no actual difference between using the mobile site and an app for these purposes. The only time I actually want an app is when I need notifications or a particular service: email, calendar, Facebook, WhatsApp, Viber, Messenger, Twitter, and a sports app that reminds me that a particular game's about to start. In addition to this, I only need OneDrive and OneNote. Last I checked, all of these were available even for Blackberry 10. I can not only live with, but I can enjoy all of the 4 current major mobile OSs.
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

I wasnt a huge fan of the OS but loved the hardware. Nokia makes their phones like an AK47. I dropped my 520 tons of times not a scratch. Took my full weight (180lbs) on a steel edge (accidental) to break the screen. If Koodo offers more I will certainly buy one and put my Acer to pasture as a backup.
Please Koodo more Nokias
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

If you really want one, you can buy them unlocked from the Microsoft store. I have a 635 and cracked the screen the first time I dropped it on the sidewalk (and it was in a case, too). Repair would cost as much as a new phone, and since it still works, I'll just replace it when it dies.