Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why Am I Being Charged For Data I Haven't Used?

I am being charged $5 for data which I never even used. Why is this? I sent a couple pic mms, w/ data on but mms are supposed to be free anyhow. I have used the same method with my own cell phone. MMS with data on. No charges there. Why am I being charged for the new phone?

6 replies

Userlevel 3
What phone do you have ? likely what happened is when you turned data on to send the mms other apps started to sync using data.
I used a Nokia Lumia 520. Brand new. Tried to set up MMS on it. I placed my current SIM from my Nexus 5 into the Nokia one so I could set up MMS on the Nokia one. Suddenly I was charged $5. This has never happened to me on my Nexus. I had to fill in a whole bunch of fields on the Nokia. I Googled how to set-up MMS APN for a Nokia Lumia 520. I filled in what was instructed and it said data needs to be on for it to work. But then I thought MMS was free? It's obviously free when I use my Nexus 5 because I have never been charged for data.
Userlevel 3
EGoldfish wrote:

I used a Nokia Lumia 520. Brand new. Tried to set up MMS on it. I placed my current SIM from m...

yeah your phone is going to sync data if it is just connecting to the internet. So the MMS is free just other data is being used. You may be able to call in to Koodo and explain the situation and have the charge credited back. In the future when you go to send MMS you can just enable battery saver, This will disable any apps from syncing in the back ground until it is turned off. Data sense can also restrict background data but I can't remember if you need 8.1 for that. You would just set it to restrict background data always.
EGoldfish wrote:

I used a Nokia Lumia 520. Brand new. Tried to set up MMS on it. I placed my current SIM from m...

Why doesn't my Nexus get charged then? I leave data on 24/7 on it.
Userlevel 3
EGoldfish wrote:

You may have had syncing disable or the data apn setup so they couldn't pull data or always had Wifi access. The exact reason I am not sure but a Android should pull data in the same fashion unless it is prevented from doing so.
EGoldfish wrote:

I see. I am still trying to figure it out though. It's quite annoying. I turned on battery saver on the Nokia. Hopefully that'll solve the problem.