Koodo Community

Community

Solved

When will you have windows OS phones?

The public wants windows phones ... Tired of having to buy phones elsewhere (3rd party), then bringing them to koodo to get a sim.  The Tab is useless unless there is something in your store that I want.  I want a phone with a windows OS, why does Koodo not offer any?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Because they are not that popular. The public doesn't want windows phone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm a Windows fan and I couldn't care less whether or not Koodo offers the phone that I want because there's no incentive for me to buy it from Koodo. The tab system ain't what it used to be and in most cases you end up paying the full cost of the phone. So I\ll buy directly from Microsoft.
Ahmad wrote:

Because they are not that popular. The public doesn't want windows phone

North America is an extremely small market in mobile communications ... N. Americans tend to want whatever the guy next to them has (the most popular) ... regardless if it does what they want it to do, or if it's a good deal or not.

The windows OS is by far the most common OS in the world and having the same OS on your mobile device as on your pc/laptop [i](whatever they're calling them these days) makes logical sense ... zero learning curve to operate it, and all your devices look and feel the same.
Userlevel 7
As Ahmad said, Windows phones are not one of the most popular devices. Your best option if you want to buy a windows phone at the moment is to go to the microsoft webstore and buy one there. They currently have plenty of devices on sale for boxing week!
Userlevel 7
Mathieu wrote:

As Ahmad said, Windows phones are not one of the most popular devices. Your best option if you wa...

In the US, sure. On the Canadian store the only one on sale is the 640 XL (a great mid ranger, admittedly). They have some good Xbox sales, though. I'm a Playstation user myself but hopefully next Black Friday/Boxing Week I'll be able to invest in an Xbox One and have the best of both worlds.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

As Ahmad said, Windows phones are not one of the most popular devices. Your best option if you wa...

I bought a BLU Win HD LTE for $140 before taxes.
Userlevel 2
I am done with buying phones from any carrier, especially those in Canada.  I am giving Microsoft all of 2016 to get Win10 Mobile and their phone situation sorted before ditching this platform I have been on since late 2012.

Running an unlocked (for free) Lumia 640 from AT&T south of the border and it's working beautifully on Koodo LTE!  The best $50USD I ever spent.

The 640 XL (unlocked) is available directly from Microsoft right now (boxing week sale $249) but 5.7" was too big for me, and I can get get 4 x 640's from the US for the same price. 😉

For those interested, the 640 LTE (unlocked AT&T GoPhone) supports the following bands according to field test mode:

LTE:  2, 4, 5, 7, 17, 28
WCDMA: 1 (2100), 2 (1900), 4 (1700), 5 (850)

The 640 XL from the CDN Microsoft store supports significantly more bands

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris wrote:

I am done with buying phones from any carrier, especially those in Canada.  I am giving Micr...

If you are dealing with Telus/Bell + offspring, the 640 LTE bands Chris tested above will be fine for Canadian use.
Userlevel 2
Chris wrote:

I am done with buying phones from any carrier, especially those in Canada.  I am giving Micr...

Yup.  It's using LTE band 4.  All calls are still done over the HSPA+ network however and the phone will drop down to "4G" during calls.  Voice over LTE (VoLTE) is still not rolled out in Canada yet it seems.
Userlevel 2
Chris wrote:

The lack of LTE band 12 (700MHz) support is the only bummer on this 640 LTE.  Apparently this is locked out of the AT&T ROM on this phone.  Would have been nice to have given Bell's use of this band.  For those unaware, Bell and Telus have worked closely for years now and share network coverage across the country - "BELLUS". 😉
Userlevel 2
Chris wrote:

From Microsoft:

[i]The following Lumia devices support VoLTE (Voice over LTE):
  • [i]Lumia 550
  • [i]Lumia 640 LTE
  • [i]Lumia 640 XL LTE
  • [i]Lumia 640 XL LTE Dual SIM
  • [i]Lumia 950
  • [i]Lumia 950 Dual SIM
  • [i]Lumia 950 XL
  • [i]Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA143885