Koodo Community
Question

Syncing Outlook via Bluetooth with Nokia Lumia 520

Userlevel 1
Recently bought a Nokia Lumia 520 because from reading it is one of the few phones that sync to Outlook. Ive been syncinc my handhelds for almost 15 years now, all the way back to the Palm III and no cell phone. Last phone I had was a Nokia E71 which synced with the Nokia PC Suite. Synced everyhting local via bluetooth, notes, tasks, calendar, contacts, pictures, etc. But more reading after I buy the phone, it wont sync via bluetooth or with PC Suite, you have to do it online. Does anyone know how to sync stuff localy either via cable or bluetooht. I dont want all my data in the cloud at all and I dont want to rely on the internet to sync either Its a feature I use daily to keep everything on my phone and Outlook current. Thanks

31 replies

Userlevel 3
Try looking into companionlink, they have a outlook add on to do local WiFi sync http://www.companionlink.com/windowsphone/outlook/
Userlevel 1
Thanks. Ill look into it. I didn't think something so simple in the past would be hard with the new technology
Userlevel 1
That kinda worked, yet times out on the Wifi. They make stuff like this complicted in a way, take away the simple ways and add hardere ways. Over Wifi great, nut nothing simple like blutooth or even a cable connection.
The main problem with outlook is that it's an old email program. It is not an email service like hotmail or gmail.
The main problem with outlook is that it's an old email program. It is not an email service like ...Ahhh ... No! Outlook is a noun ... much like the term "computer" or "phone". There are many applications that people simply refer to as "Outlook". An email service is simply a company who is providing a server to store email messages, and offers you an account to access that server where you can view messages destined for your account (email address). Outlook is by far the most common application used to organize and store email messages on the aforementioned servers. There are many client side applications that allow you to "view" email files (messages) on an email server ... most email services offer you a web-based client to view your messages on their server for free, but you have to be connected to their server to view (eg. connected to the internet). Others offer a small application that downloads your messages which provides you a local "copy" of your messages on your device (PC, phone, tablet, etc.), and syncs to the server whenever you are connected to it (connected to the internet). There are literally 1000's of client side applications that can do this local storing and syncing with email servers ... each have their own "limitations" and "rules" for storing and sync'ing. Note: some were coded by 12 yr old kids in their mother's basement after their bedtimes, then uploaded to a store where people download at will assuming it is the "bees-knees" of applications. 99.99% of complaints from the end-user regarding email are related to a client side application not storing and/or sync'ing with the server as expected. "Outlook" remains the industry leader in email handling by incorporating the latest technology and supporting features into their products. The problem is the email clients have to be kept updated as well ... remember this when downloading your email client application ... will it still meet my needs in 3-6 months?
Userlevel 1
I dont want to use an email service or the cloud, or whatever. And if its old new versions of office are always being released. Sorry like many, I dont want my data in the cloud
Userlevel 1
I dont want to use an email service or the cloud, or whatever. And if its old new versions of of...Pure coincidence I found this similar post with same question asked by Spidey http://f.redflagdeals.com/showthread.php?t=1363499&mobile_type=basic I'm not sure if this method will work, you'l loose nothing try it: Connect the phone via usb to pc. In Phone memory or SD Card, create a folder inside *Saved Stuff Named "notes, tasks, calendar, contacts, picture"etc...Paste your stuff inside that folder.Switch on your bluetooth.Go to that folder, tap and hold the stuff you want to share, Choose share>bluetooth. *Saved stuff might be located inside folders named ""notes, tasks, calendar, contacts, picture"
Userlevel 1
I dont want to use an email service or the cloud, or whatever. And if its old new versions of of...That was me as well. Ill give that a shot, you would think as technology grows it would be simplier. But they have taken something simple and made it confusing, and I hare relying on Internet, I dont want or like the cloud concept with my personal data
Userlevel 1
I dont want to use an email service or the cloud, or whatever. And if its old new versions of of...I definitely agree with you Ken, nowdays lot of scamers, spamers , crooks are everywhere, but I'm still doing my banking.. etc.., anyway everything I do , I do it using internet, for the last 7 years I never got any paper bill or whatsoever, I'm an Internet man, I never went through any trouble so far, for me Internet is my safe heaven.
Userlevel 1
I dont want to use an email service or the cloud, or whatever. And if its old new versions of of...I do everything like that online, but I dont want to rely on the internet to sync is all. I live out of the city, and sometimes dont have internet at home due to tech issues. I dont even have data on my phone, so thats another reason I dont want to sync via Internet.
Userlevel 1
I dont want to use an email service or the cloud, or whatever. And if its old new versions of of...Understood, did try my method or not yet?
Userlevel 1
I dont want to use an email service or the cloud, or whatever. And if its old new versions of of...Not yet, have to wait until tonight when I get home. Thing is, its a band aid soltuon for once time. Its not actually syncing daily like it used to. Ive been searching for some software solutions as well
Userlevel 1
I dont want to use an email service or the cloud, or whatever. And if its old new versions of of...Good luck - I'll search on my end too, I'll post my findings...
You are already using an email service by having an email address. Outlook is just an email program. Your emails would be in your inbox that's attached to your email address. You can't use outlook without an email address. I'm beginning to suspect that you don't understand what email actually is.
Userlevel 1
I know how email works, and how email clients work. Im not worried about email, I want everything else Outlook has, tasks, note, contacts, etc. I dont want my personal info of my own in the cloud.
I know how email works, and how email clients work. Im not worried about email, I want everythin...There are programs that get left behind because they are no longer the standard or the company does not see a need to support it anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if Outlook was one of those programs. You may need to just bite the bullet and enter the information manually.
Userlevel 1
I know how email works, and how email clients work. Im not worried about email, I want everythin...Reading the Nokia forums looks like many are angry about their PC suite stopping the local sync of Outlook. I know I can upload everything to the cloud and then it downloads from the cloud to my phone. But like many, I dont want my personal stuff like calendars and notes in a cloud, and to rely on internet for every update Enerting it manually wont help either since I still wont be able to sync with my home PC
I know how email works, and how email clients work. Im not worried about email, I want everythin...don't know what else to suggest then. Entering it manually would be the only way to go about it. You could switch to another phone, or call Nokia for a solution.
Userlevel 1
I know how email works, and how email clients work. Im not worried about email, I want everythin...I may see if Android has the option. Ive had Nokia phones for awhile now, and they always had this feature. Thats why I stuck with them because when something works the way you want, why change But from the looks of it it may not work. Ive got 12 days to return the phone since I just signed up. Its a pain, been syncinh locally for 15 years almost
Userlevel 1
Well tried the companionlink that was mentioned above and it worked pretty good. Evrything did sync, but have to use its own calendar instead of the one built in with the Nokia. But at least I have avoided the cloud for now. Its a free 14 day trial so will see if it is what I want. DEfintly a slow sync compared to bluetooth. And the calendar app for the phone is very slow loading. But better than what I had
Userlevel 1
Found a solution. Software called AKRUto Sync. I tried the Companion Link but it also wanted software on the phone for its own calendar, tasks and notes. While it worked, it was very slow loading on the phone, sometimes up to 2 minutes with the calendar, and the sync was very flaky at home vie Wifi. This new software syncs with the phone via Wifi, and actualy used the Windows 8 Calendar on the phone, which works very fast, has an agenda, etc. Only thing right now is it doesnt moves notes overs, but that is coming with a new release. Price is $30 for the full version. Shame a person needs to pay money to keep their data out of the CLoud http://www.akruto.com/
Userlevel 2
Who's your email provider? And what type of service are you running (pop/exchange/imap)? Reason I ask is because you should have support for 2way sync for emails as well as CalDav (calendar) and CardDav (contacts).... You can utilize this on your device, as well as through outlook. Then all of your devices are constantly connected and up to date...
Userlevel 1
Not worried about email, and from the sounds of it still deals with my info being online and needing an Internet connection to do it. I want to sync in my house contacts, task, notes and calander locally. I dont have a data plan so syncing when I am away from home isnt of any interest to me. My email is all pop settings and my email provider is Xplornet.
Userlevel 2
Not worried about email, and from the sounds of it still deals with my info being online and need...Ah fair enough, yeah this type of syncing would require a data connection, however it could either be a network connection through your carrier or via wifi. You could setup outlook to pull your local contacts from your computer, and update your email address contacts/calandar with that, which would then be pushed to your device. Might be more trouble then it's worth through if you already have this type of functionality setup already via bluetooth and it's doing the job.
Userlevel 1
Not worried about email, and from the sounds of it still deals with my info being online and need...Well the software I found does do it via Wifi or Internt if you want, I picked the Wifi version. Sounds like this software does what you are mentioning as well, but in an easier way. Maybe I will look into it, your way is free. Although $30 isnt a bad price either.