Koodo Community

Community

Nokia Lumia 525 (or 620)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
With the Lumia 520 dropped from the lineup, there is currently no WP8 offering. We're left without a $150 "free" phone winner, as most of us would not recommend any of the current $150 offerings. The Lumia 525 is a logical replacement, as it is the successor to the 520. It's very similar to the 520, but has double the RAM. (http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_525-5869.php) Another good choice would be the Lumia 620, if the price can be kept down. It's a step up due to the rear camera flash and the front camera for video calling. (http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_620-5147.php) Finally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Lumia 1320 as a WP phablet, as it should have a killer price point in the category, ~$350. (http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_1320-5791.php).

28 replies

Userlevel 7
The 520 was the best "free" Small Tab phone. There was nothing wrong with the way it performed at that price point. The Ace II X could learn a lot from it (other than the flash). The Moto G is SO close to being the best free phone on small, it's just shy $50. I like the idea of having at LEAST one WP on offer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

The 520 was the best "free" Small Tab phone. There was nothing wrong with the way it performed at...

If the Moto G was the 16 GB version at $200 (like in the US), it'd be much easier to recommend despite the $50 premium.
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

The 520 was the best "free" Small Tab phone. There was nothing wrong with the way it performed at...

If I could, at least, find a way to charge AND use USB-OTG at the same time on the 8GB MotoG...... it wouldn't be so bad! But so far, no dice, it's either one or the other. So much for those long car rides.... :o/
Please, please, please add the Nokia 525 or 620 before Christmas. I told my wife I wanted a Koodo Windows phone for Christmas (520 was all you offered), and now I'm stuck with nothing on my list!
Userlevel 2
Jody Power wrote:

Please, please, please add the Nokia 525 or 620 before Christmas. I told my wife I wanted a Ko...

Nexus 4 😉.
Jody Power wrote:

Please, please, please add the Nokia 525 or 620 before Christmas. I told my wife I wanted a Ko...

I want a Windows Phone!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jody Power wrote:

Jody, you can grab the prepaid Telus Lumia 520 for $89.99 at Best Buy. There is a chance that it may not need to be unlocked to work with your Koodo SIM. If it does need to be unlocked, cellunlocker.net is a reliable source and costs only $14.99 for this particular phone. If you'd like a step up from the 520, the 620 is available for $149.99, also at Best Buy.
Userlevel 6
Jody Power wrote:

Jody, have you checked the 2nd hand market? You may find a WP8 handset on the cheap on places like kijiji or eBay. It's worth a look if nothing WP appears in the Koodo lineup soon!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jody Power wrote:

With the $90 Telus 520 at Best Buy, there is little incentive to go 2nd hand.
Userlevel 6
Jody Power wrote:

Ivan, while you're absolutely right about a $90 520 being quite the steal, I've seen 520's flying for $40-$50 on kijiji in my region!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The Moto G is the best free phone offering now at $150 price point and it will be extremely hard for any phone running any OS to beat it.
Userlevel 2
As a 520 user, it is perplexing why there are so few Lumia devices in Canada. A quick check on the Nokia site for all devices only shows FOUR (4) for Canada - 520/620 (discontinued) and the 625 + 1020. So basically Canada is stuck with only two Lumia devices - lovely. Telus - 625 + 1020 Koodo - nothing Rogers - 1020 + 520 (EOL) Bell - nothing With the 525 looking to be targeted at Asia and the Middle East, I think we'll be lucky to get the 625, or any new WP8 device with Koodo. 😞
Userlevel 7
It's sad, because WP has finally gotten a few big name apps in Instagram and Vine, Temple Run 1 and 2, plus BBM is coming down the pipe soon too. They might be a little behind in development but devs are finally paying more attention to the simplicity and unique UI experience brought on by Windows Phone. There needs to be at least one more WP for Koodo, methinks.
Userlevel 2
If Microsoft wants more developers creating WP8 apps we need more handsets/devices! Nokia has released some nice units in the last couple of months but we need them available here. Speaking of Koodo devices selection...why so many Android?? 😕 Come on Koodo..bringeth the WP8 devices!! Must I really buy from Telus and then pay more $ just to unlock it for use on Koodo?!? PS: Perhaps Telus can sell the WP8 devices and make them usable on either Telus or Koodo, thus saving us any unlocking fees.
Userlevel 7
Chris wrote:

If Microsoft wants more developers creating WP8 apps we need more handsets/devices! Nokia has re...

I've confirmed the Lumia 800 to work on Koodo without an unlock, so maybe some of the others will too. Try it, if it doesn't work, then you can unlock it.
Just wanted to register my interest in seeing a Lumia at Koodo too.
Userlevel 6
Given the "Not Planned" tag guys, I wouldn't keep my hopes up.... 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Given the "Not Planned" tag guys, I wouldn't keep my hopes up.... :(

Not planned for a 525 or 620, but I'd still bet on Koodo offering a Lumia again in the future.
Userlevel 6

Yes, of course, it's what I meant. I want to see Lumias too, I like these phones! Won't be the 620/525 though, by the looks of it 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The 1320 looks to be the most affordable phablet on the market. Maybe Koodo will consider that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It's not just having a large display that makes a phablet successful as was shown by the weak sales of the Galaxy Mega on koodo, it's the S-Pen that makes for a successful phablet. Koodo just got the Note 2 which we all know is an older device with the Note 3 being out already but I would put money on it already selling more units with koodo than the Galaxy Mega sold in twice the time it was available from koodo. The Galaxy Note series is the only tablet that will ever have the kind of success it's seen because of the S-Pen functionality which adds a ton of value to having a larger display and there's no reason to get a device that doesn't offer that added functionality if you can get one that does.
Userlevel 1
Nokia Lumia 525 isn't to be seen coming to the US or Canada anytime soon, so I doubt it will come until later this year, if ever.
I apologize if this rerails the thread, but can anyone tell me if the Nokia Lumia 520 will work on the Koodo network?
Badge +4
Terry Harapiak wrote:

I apologize if this rerails the thread, but can anyone tell me if the Nokia Lumia 520 will work o...

Yes it will.
Terry Harapiak wrote:

I apologize if this rerails the thread, but can anyone tell me if the Nokia Lumia 520 will work o...

Thank you for the info. I understand the 520 is a GSM- how extensive is Koodo's GSM coverage in Canada.