Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Nokia Lumia 1020 dropping on and off Koodo Network

Hello, Koodo Community! I desperately need some help.. I just recently bought a refurbished Nokia Lumia 1020, which was advertised as being ok on the Telus and Koodo network. I received it last night to much anticipation.. Popped my SIM in... And... Nothing! The SIM generated a 'missing or invalid' notice on my phone (See first image, top left corner) for about an hour. I thought it may have been a software issue, and lo and behold there were a lot of updates pending on it. The phone then picked up the koodo network no problem... For all of one hour. It then dropped it again, and it did not work until this afternoon around 3pm. I have tried calling Koodo, to no major benefit. I brought it down to the Koodo kiosk. Magically, the moment I gave it to her the phone started working again. But there was no advice she could really give me. The phone dropped the network at 5, and picked it up about 20 minutes ago at 6. The only thing I can think of that might be the issue is that the phone does state that the carrier is Telus (see second picture). The Nokia Lumia 530 which I got originally from Koodo never said this. And I even tested that by putting my SIM back in my old 530, where it immediately worked and stated it's carrier was Koodo. Any thoughts? I am so desperate! Does this phone have to be unlocked completely?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Make sure the phone isn't set to 2g or gsm only, try setting it to CDMA or 3g and see if that does anything.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
After looking into the model # you have which is the 909 I've seen it's the Chinese version and I'm guessing it isn't fully compatible with koodo as it may have only one of the two frequencies Koodo uses and only connect in certain areas that are using the frequency the phone is actually compatible with. I could be wrong but this is my best guess on what the issue is.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

After looking into the model # you have which is the 909 I've seen it's the Chinese version and I...

Thanks Paul.. I have preciously looked onto this when I first saw it myself. Everything I read indicates it's perfectly normal, and that 909 is the developer name for 1020. See: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/257143-nokia-lumia-909-a.html

After looking into the model # you have which is the 909 I've seen it's the Chinese version and I...

*previously, sorry.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I know that but there's 909 and 909.1 and 909.2 and so on and the 909 which you have is the Chinese model

I know that but there's 909 and 909.1 and 909.2 and so on and the 909 which you have is the Chine...

Hi Paul, I also understand this. However, all Nokia Lumia 1020s show up in the About as the 909. In order to get the RM, one has to dig a bit deeper. My Nokia Lumia is a 909 RM-877, which is information I was able to get by just plugging it into my computer and going into my devices. So definitely not Chinese. It is 1 year old, and was sourced from Calgary, Alberta. It's held the signal I got at 6pm without shorting out yet... So this would mean it's the longest it's been so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I know that but there's 909 and 909.1 and 909.2 and so on and the 909 which you have is the Chine...

Oh Ok gotcha. Hope it ends up working for ya.
Badge +4
Try going to: Settings > Mobile+SIM, scroll down to and tap SIM settings, tap the Network Selection box, then tap 'search for networks' and choose Koodo. For internet and MMS settings see the links below. WindowsPhone APN & MMS settings (pdf format) http://aide.koodomobile.com/Portals/0/Phones/PDFFiles/WindowsNEW.pdf http://help.koodomobile.com/plans-add-ons-data-and-other-services/data-basics/how-do-i-setup-data-on-my-non-koodo-phone