Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Nokia 515 Does Not Recognize SIM

I know there are a lot of these "don't recognize sim" posts, but I could not find any that solved my problem.  I have an unlocked Nokia 515 phone.  I had to get a new micro sim since my old one was a mini sim and would not fit.  I've tested the new sim in my old phone and it works ok (though for some reason it changed my phone connection to 4G and said I dowloaded data, when I didn't)

I put the new micro sim in my unlocked nokia and it does not recognize or see Koodo network.  I checked out the IMEI and it was good and it said that it should work on Koodo's network.  I tried filling out the APN values best I could based on other posts, but Nokia has different settings.  This is what I have:

Access Point > Account Name : KOODO
Access Point Sett > Bearer settings > Mobile data acc. pt. > sp.koodo.com
Network type: IPv4
Authentication type: Normal
Username: blank
Password: blank

Connectivity > Mobile data > Access Point > Access point name > KOODO
Mobile data acc. pt. : sp.koodo.com

There are no other fields to put in proxy port, mms port, etc... that I can see.

Anyone with any experience or ideas?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Make sure the phone isn't set to 2g or gsm only under network type.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If it's the dual SIM version try the other SIM slot.
If it's not then the specs I'm seeing online for that model are not compatible with koodo.
The phone is set to dual network mode: gsm & 3g right now.

It is the single sim version of the Nokia 515.  The secondary slot for the dual sim version is only good for 2g so that wouldn't of helped if I did have that version.

What about the single SIM version makes it incompatible?  It's a 3g phone and IMEI checked out on Koodo's website.  I thought it would work..

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
NQuiz wrote:

The phone is set to dual network mode: gsm & 3g right now.

It is the single sim version of t...

From what I'm reading the 3g frequencies the phone is compatible with are not those that Koodo uses
It doesn't work when I set it to strictly 3g network either.

Do you think it could have to do with the sim card being an NFC type sim card?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
NQuiz wrote:

It doesn't work when I set it to strictly 3g network either.

Do you think it could have to do wi...

No that wouldn't matter that just adds functionality if needed.
Userlevel 7
Just to answer your "why" question. Koodo uses 850\1900mhz in the 3G band This phone doesn't and that's why it's not working.

Thanks for your research into this guys.  I don't fully understand the band stuff though.

I just put in a Fido sim card and my phone recognized it right away.  Their network was listed as

"[i]GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz"

Seems similar to Koodo's?  The 850/1900 Mhz part at least.

Well, I'll give up on this, and consider the only way to use the phone is to switch carriers.
Userlevel 7
NQuiz wrote:

Thanks for your research into this guys.  I don't fully understand the band stuff though.

Fido (rogers) has a 2G gsm network you're falling back on. Koodo doesn't. 2G has some disadvantages : 1. It's painfully slow 2. You cannot be on the phone and use data at the same time
NQuiz wrote:

Okay, I think I got it now.  I found a this page:

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/the_big_three_canadian_network_frequencies

that breaks down the 2G and 3G frequencies. Makes more sense now.