Userlevel 7
Badge +4

27 replies

The 620 is Actually $200 on Telus TeamWebstore right now
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MarcusG wrote:

That's not a retail outlet. It's $250 on their website. See below.
MarcusG wrote:

Ask any telus employee, they'll give you an access....however this quote says it best: "Rule of thumb: If a device is available on both Koodo and Telus, the Telus price with team web store discount will still be more expensive than on Koodo." Someone on another board, http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1779702-Team-Webstore-no-term-pricing-sucks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lovely review, thanks Phil (if I may call you so) 😃
Sophia wrote:

Lovely review, thanks Phil (if I may call you so) :D

See I thought his name was P-Tor
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Haha, I'm liking P-Tor. Reminds me of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBprFv4AXss
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Thanks Sophia!
Userlevel 6
Thanks for the review, Philosoraptor ! Awesome work 🙂
Userlevel 6
I was SO tempted to pick one up to play with, however, I could not live without an LED flash. Not because of pictures, but because I use it as a flashlight all the time on my other phones. For this reason alone, I agree with Philo that the 620 should have come to Koodo, but anyway, these 520's will likely sell like hotcakes!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

I was SO tempted to pick one up to play with, however, I could not live without an LED flash. No...

I really like that phone a lot, and I'm a staunch Android believer 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I was SO tempted to pick one up to play with, however, I could not live without an LED flash. No...

But yes... I do miss a few features, the flash foremost. I think it's a great beginner's phone, or for people who use Hotmail as their main address 🙂
Userlevel 6

and it's so smoooooooothhh....... I love Android, but I'll be damned if I don't think both iOS and WP8 are just that much smoother!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@ Sophia: There's no more Hotmail, Sophia. It's been rebranded to Outlook. Gmail is my primary account and mail/contacts/calendar syncs flawlessly on my WP devices. @TopperCNC: The flashlight problem could be remedied with an app that turns the screen white. No solution to a lack of a flash for photos, though. And though I was for the 620 initially, there's no way I'd be spending an extra $100 for the minimal upgrades.
Userlevel 6

Yeah the whitescreen flashlight works, but is nowhere near the intensity of a LED flash for when, you know, you just NEED to blind a friend :oP
Userlevel 6

Speaking of Gmail/Contacts/Calendar on WP8... What do you use Philosoraptor? Google's turned off ActiveSync for new WP devices last Feb, but they let CalDav and CardDav live a couple of days ago... You're probably using IMAP for your Gmail, but what do you use for contacts/calendar? CalDav and CardDav aren't out yet for WP, so it got me wondering...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

http://gigaom.com/2013/01/31/good-news-gmail-users-google-extends-sync-support-through-july/ They turned it back on within a month.
Userlevel 6

July 31st it is then, hehe! Well, it's great news, and bad news for my wallet as it just so happens that I'm itching right now.... hmmmm.... thanx Philo!
Userlevel 6
Hey Philo... Is your 520 carrier-branded like the old Lumia 610 was? I mean, do you have the Koodo startup chime and all the other little things carriers think of, or is it completely clean, ala iPhone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey Philo... Is your 520 carrier-branded like the old Lumia 610 was? I mean, do you have the Ko...

The only branding a 610 could have had was the Koodo splash screen, but WP has always allowed you to uninstall any carrier bloatware. There is no carrier splash screen on my 520. I just restarted it and greeted only by the blue Windows Phone screen.
Userlevel 6

Hey Philo... Is your 520 carrier-branded like the old Lumia 610 was? I mean, do you have the Ko...

Alright! Thanx Philo!
P-tor, Just wondering can you plug in a Keyboard or Joypad directly into the 520 via an OTG cable and use it? If so it would make a nice portable little office item + game device
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MarcusG wrote:

P-tor, Just wondering can you plug in a Keyboard or Joypad directly into the 520 via an OTG c...

No. Windows Phone does not support USB OTG. I don't know if they plan to add the support anytime in the future. Plus, the 520 only has 512 MB RAM which wouldn't make it an ideal gaming device anyway.
MarcusG wrote:

P-tor, Just wondering can you plug in a Keyboard or Joypad directly into the 520 via an OTG c...

Dang...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MarcusG wrote:

I'm more disappointed with no MHL or MHL-alternative video output than a lack of OTG.