Koodo Community

Community

Solved

how does the Nokia Lumia 520 handle?

Just curious.....i don't like iphone's but interested in getting a andriod that's user friendly enough for the first time user of androids. I've seen a couple of video's on youtube compared to the Samsung Galaxy II & III & IV and really find the Nokia is much more appealing to me without having a mini-tablet compared to the Galaxy android.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The nokia 520 is a windows phone, not android.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

The nokia 520 is a windows phone, not android.

I was going to ask him about that but noticed that the post was tagged both Android and Windows so I assumed that he was just mentioning Androids as a comparison.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hands-down best value for your money when it comes to your money. Sure, Windows Phone 8 hasn't fully caught up to Android in features or apps, but you're getting more than just the basics. Mind you, the Moto G has just been released today (though I haven't had a chance to put mine through its paces yet) and that may be a better buy if you're invested in Google's ecosystem. It's $50 more than the Lumia 520, which to me isn't pocket change. It's not too bad though, but I prefer the Lumia's expandable memory and price point to the more mature ecosystem of the Moto G. I've used the 520 a lot as a backup phone and what I realized was that if I didn't have the means (and also the good fortune to be a Mobile Master) to thoroughly spoil myself when it comes to gadgets - I'd be perfectly happy with the Lumia 520.
Userlevel 7
I'll do a comparison too, just to give you an idea. Lumia 520 pros: - Great user-friendly smartphone for its price of $150 - It isn't very slow or laggy considering the hardware it's running (because WP is lightweight) - Pictures come out okay considering the 5MP camera (but no flash) - Battery life is decent, standby time is particularly impressive - supports microSD slot and removable battery Cons: - not as many apps or features as Android, especially when it comes to quick toggles(but for some they prefer something straightforward) - colors are a little washed out on the relatively weak display and has no gorilla glass to protect it Moto G (this is still being tested) pros: - fantastic Android 4.3 (eventually to be 4.4) phone for the $200 price tag - 720p display has great colours and sharpness PLUS gorilla glass 3 for good scratch/damage resistance - solid build quality and design, feels very good in the hand - quad-core processor for smooth performance and good response times. Multitasking isn't an issue even with 1GB of RAM unless you're trying to write government security software or conduct thermonuclear physics tests on your phone - excellent app selection, supports widgets, live wallpapers, and a very customizable ecosystem. If there's something you don't like about the software, you can probably change it. Cons: - little more complicated than WP but there are tutorials available when you boot up the phone and you can ask anyone here how to do things - camera could be better - 8GB of memory without expandable memory. For some this isn't an issue, but for me, who likes to play a few big games and store several GBs of music on my phones, it won't work - Motorola kept costs down and only included a micro USB cable with the phone. You'll have to supply your own adapter (which is kind of lame but not horrible) and headphones (which most people do anyway)
Jonathan I wrote:

I'll do a comparison too, just to give you an idea. Lumia 520 pros: - Great user-friendl...

Thanks, Jon! This helps alot! Much appreciated. Started this thread just to see other people's point of view on what it was like for them. I'm thinking the Lumia would be a good start for and Window's Phone even though it's not an Android, its still related.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The Moto G Blows the Nokia 520 out of the water and has an amazing display & quad core processor making it a very snappy device, the sound is also very impressive but it does have a downfall as its only available in 8gb. If you can deal with having 8gb of storage I HIGHLY recommend the Moto G it's amazing me that a phone thus great can be only $200