Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Hotspot not working on Lumia 950

I had a Lumia 920 and used "access point" to put in the apns (putting them in manually never seemed to work for me), then upgraded that to Windows Phone 10 and never had any issues.

Now, I have a Lumia 950, didn't restore, so it's a fresh phone.. And of course Access Point doesn't work for winphone 10.  So I put in the apn settings that are here in the forums, I have data which is great, but as soon as I try to turn on the mobile hotspot, I get the "There's no mobile data connection to share at the moment.  Check your mobile settings and signal, and try again."

I've checked my settings, I've rebooted the phone, I've deleted and re-added the apn, I'm not connected through wifi .. so I'm out of ideas.  I'm hoping someone here has some.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Does your data work when you aren't on wifi right now?
Ahmad wrote:

Yes, my data works fine.  Which is why this confuses me.
Ahmad wrote:

Here are my sim settings:

Userlevel 2
Ahmad wrote:

This is a W10 bug M$ has aknowledged it and says they are going to fix it. You most certainly are not the only person to have this issue, and it exyends to the new Surface tablets as well. The last two updates were BETA S (10586.29 and 10586.36) but they pushed it public and not working out so well :) 

All you can really do until they release a proper fix is constantly restart your phone to connect again.
Ahmad wrote:

That is the lock screen bug, correct?  I can't even turn the mobile hotspot on the FIRST time, let alone dealing with the lock screen issue (I can deal with that one..what I can't deal with is not having it connect at all).
Userlevel 2
Ahmad wrote:

Yeah, everytime it goes to lock screen it disconnects and refuses to reconnect unless you power off the phone. Only other option is to kill your battery and keep the screen active 24/7. Not exactly a quality fix lol. Sadly you need to be prepared for a lot more of this, most likely end of the year before the OS stabalizes . When I was doing the Insider BETA testing on PC I dont recall a single tester saying it was ready, bug after bug but heres W10 anyways.

What build are you running?
Ahmad wrote:

Yeah, that one I've heard of.  If I could get it to connect at all, I could easily deal with that.

I ran the beta on my 920 and never had too many issues, other than the builds where we knew hotspot wasn't available and I just rolled back when I needed it 😉  Sad to think I might have to hold onto my 920 just for hotspotting for a while.  Except they use different sized sim cards... 

I'm running the newest build right now, .63
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950/402656-mobile-hotspot-not-working.html

Ahmad wrote:

That is the lock screen bug talked about previously...and is not the issue here.  I cannot get it to connect once, so it's not an issue with it disconnecting.

Someone in that thread suggested battery saver, but mine is plugged into power, so the battery saver is off.
Well, thank you everyone for your help, my main concern was the APN, which no one commented on ... so I went ahead and did a hard reset .. and now it's working.

Crazy thing as well - I didn't have to manually enter my APN like I had to before (if I used the carrier default, it wouldn't give me data at all).  So It may have been the APN, or may have been something that got messed up in the last update.

So now, I just have to deal with the lock screen bug, which you guys have reminded me about..and I can live with that until it's fixed (hopefully it won't be too long!)
Userlevel 2
wulfin wrote:

Well, thank you everyone for your help, my main concern was the APN, which no one commented on .....

Dont assume the issues are exclusive of each other, considering you had to do the same thing to connect the first time as the lock bug does to you everytime 😉
wulfin wrote:

Well, thank you everyone for your help, my main concern was the APN, which no one commented on .....

Try change fot 2G and the hotspot will work. After this you can change again to 4G. It should work.
delete clearnet and telus apns it helped me