Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Factory Unlocked Lumia 635

Userlevel 3
Rogers, Telus, and their respective flanker brands have all rolled out the Lumia 635 Denim update. I bought my factory unlocked 635 directly from Microsoft but have not received the update. Anyone know how to get it?

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Hey Beverley 🙂 Your phone should notify you when an update is available. Have you tried to manually check for updates? You can periodically check for updates on your Nokia Lumia 635: Settings > Phone Update > Check for updates Some users on the Community successfully installed the Denim update: http://koo.do/1B4eKyf Hope this helps! ******************************************** If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Userlevel 3
Yes I've manually checked to no avail. The Koodo users that have successfully updated appear to have carrier or unlocked carrier variants of the device, mine was factory unlocked and Microsoft hasn't pushed out the update yet, in fact I'm not sure if they're even going to.
Userlevel 6
I also have a factory unlocked 635 that is stuck with Cyan. I asked Microsoft live chat support when an update would be available, and they said it was up to the carrier, even for unlocked devices! I mentioned that Koodo/Telus had already pushed it out for their locked versions but they were unable to enlighten me further. 

Now that Windows 10 is about to be released, I might try to install a developer preview version.
Userlevel 3
That CSR on Live Chat is incorrect based on all my research of the various Window's community forums and the like. The factory unlocked phone is the "Country Variant " model, in our case the mobile operator is identified as 000-CA. When looking at Microsoft's software update status for North America, it doesn't even list the Country Variant model for Canada but it does in the United States. http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/ I've read that some have been able to get the update by using the software recovery tool but I am loathe to wipe out my phone! Frustrating to say the least, you would think that Microsoft would have pushed out the updates to the unlocked phones immediately. My husband has the unlocked BLU Win HD running on Wind and he has received timely updates from the manufacturer as it should be. It would be crazy to think that it would be Wind's responsibility!
Userlevel 6
Beverley wrote:

That CSR on Live Chat is incorrect based on all my research of the various Window's community for...

I see the "Country Variant" for Canada has been added to that page (it wasn't there yesterday). This morning I also received a notification of a critical update - unfortunately I'd already left home so I didn't download it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can get a version of Denim running, but it involves running Windows Insider, which is the developer preview program. If you're comfortable with this, get the Windows Insider App from the store. The first update will bring you to the latest version of 8.1. If you update again, you'll get Windows 10. I would not recommend updating all the way to Windows 10 as it's far from ready for daily use.
I'm in the same boat. Bought an unlocked Lumia 635, added a Koodo sim card and not able to get the Denim update.
Userlevel 3
Finally my phone received the Denim update late last night!
Did you do anything that you think helped or did you just wait?
Userlevel 3
I didn't do anything. A message just suddenly appeared on my homescreen that a critical update was going to download.
And it took several days for that message to arrive?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ben.nasmith wrote:

And it took several days for that message to arrive?

Updates are usually staggered as not to overload the servers.
Userlevel 3
I have no idea when the update was pushed out to the unlocked devices so I can't answer that, it was just suddenly there.