Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Does Lumia 640XL from Microsoft Store Canada Works on Koodo Network

Does Lumia 640XL from Microsoft Store Canada Works on Koodo Network?

the link to the phone is below

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-640-XL--Unlocked-White/productID....#

I am monthly customer with unlimited calls and 1GB data plan.

If the phone works on Koodo network, what I need to do to activate it on the network after purchase?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Use willmyphonework.net

Looking on the link you posted surprsiingly it seems that it will not work on Koodo? HSPA/WCDMA/3G/4G requires 850/1900 and LTE is 1700 and pretty unknown where 700. So looking at it I say no, but willmyphonework.net says WCDMA will work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So according to this thread here, the last poster says that he bought one from Microsoft Store and that it works with Koodo.

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/is-lumia-640-xl-coming-to-koodo-or-is-it-out-yet

I guess the Microsoft Store screwed up the bands in the description.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

So according to this thread here, the last poster says that he bought one from Microsoft Store an...

Swing by gsmarena.com and you will see a 640XL and then a separate 640XL LTE listed which has the band 4 coverage.

640XL will work for slower 3G data, but not faster 4G (LTE) according to willmyphonework.net  Band 4 is missing, which is surprising since that's what AT&T uses.

Poster you referred to says phone OK for him, but it seems a shame to spend bucks on a phone that doesn't do the job 100%.

Best to get direct confirmation from Microsoft store before purchasing. It could be as Goran says, a SNAFU in the specs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

So according to this thread here, the last poster says that he bought one from Microsoft Store an...

I honestly don't use LTE. The HSPA network in cities gets me 15-25mbps and generally 4-10 in rural southern Ontario.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Microsoft Store is notorious for errors in their spec sheets.

As for LTE, I have it enabled, but don't notice any actual decrease in my internet performance when it bumps down to 3G. It's more than fast enough.

The 640 XL is a great deal at the current sale price of $199, though I personally prefer the 650.