Koodo Community

Community

Continue the Samsung ride, s4 mini?

Well it took a while to get the S3 Galaxy, we got the S4. But for some of us that's too much phone. (Might as well get a phablet) So who not carry the S4 Mini with these specs.

19 replies

Unfortunately Koodo does not comment on future phone releases. That being said, Koodo released the Galaxy ace 2x rather than the S3 mini so in the future there is always the possibility for them to release the recently announced Galaxy ace 3.
Userlevel 1
Josh765 wrote:

Unfortunately Koodo does not comment on future phone releases. That being said, Koodo release...

Watch Koodo Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/koodo
Josh765 wrote:

Unfortunately Koodo does not comment on future phone releases. That being said, Koodo release...

Mat, nothing there yet
Josh765 wrote:

@Josh, Given the cost of the Galaxy Ace phones and the limit of a $150 tab there are a good fit for koodo. However the $150 tab was started in a time of limited smart phone usage. The ace is nice, for limited use
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Josh765 wrote:

I disagree. The ace is not nice for any use, just look at the "satisfied" Ace users on the community.
Josh765 wrote:

$150 phone, you get what you pay for...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Josh765 wrote:

Again, I disagree. I bought a $150 Lumia 520 and I got a lot more than I would have with the Ace (or Ace 2).
Josh765 wrote:

Apples and Oranges, I liked the review on the 520 and have been tempted to move that way but a front facing cam is a need for me. Win phones from Nokia are nice but android gives more apps while Apple has great quality but costly at $150, the ace is a phone Koodo can sell at $0 down and all on the Tab
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Josh765 wrote:

Yes, and I don't disagree that Android is more versatile and has a stronger ecosystem than WP. But, at this price point there is absolutely zero chance that I'd get an Android phone. I have first hand experience in how these phones behave and its painful. It doesn't matter how many things it does in theory when it fails to do most of those things well. So I don't think it's apples to oranges in this case. And, like the lack of a front-facing camera may be a deal breaker to you with the 520, the lack of flash would be a deal-breaker for me (remember, I bought one as a backup, and to use as a bike computer). But, these are only deal breakers to me because I can afford (or I've at least convinced myself that I can afford) better hardware. And if I didn't know any better, I'd probably pick the Ace 2 as my first smartphone as it has a flash and a front-facing camera. But, I do know better and would end up regretting the choice. People are being forced into switching from feature phones to smartphones. They already have to deal with much inferior battery life vs feature phones. No matter how crappy their feature phone was, you can bet that it didn't hang and crash while sending texts or making calls.
Josh765 wrote:

@Geoff Thats the reason I picked up the Ace 2x, being in school meant I did not have the money to pay upfront for a phone, but still like the benefits of the tab. Thankfully I have a job this fall so hopefully i'll be able to replace the Ace 2x with something alittle more powerful. That being said the Ace 2x currently accomplishes everything I need it to as the Android ecosystem has a large selection of apps and any web browsing i just offload to my tablet using the hotspot feature.
Josh765 wrote:

Josh, I had a student with an Ace1 running CM10; he would bring a full size keyboard to class and plug it into the Ace but always told me he wanted a more powerful phone. The Ace is a starter, nothing more. Good luck on the hunt, I just got a S3 and it's more than anything I need: and the S4 can wait for me
I was at a Koodo store getting a new sim card (didn't want to wait for mail) and I saw a koodo rep selling some the ACE (1) on a Monday when the ACE 2 was coming out with Koodo that week. The rep went on about how great it is...Was a big facepalm from me. The Ace or Ace 2 are underpowered, I'd prefer a $70 prepaid Galaxy W as a backup but fankly don't need it. I am tempted with the Lumia 620 which is $200 at Telus, however I am sure another round will be coming out in the fall; for now I have my Fido based S3 as the premier phone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MarcusG wrote:

I was at a Koodo store getting a new sim card (didn't want to wait for mail) and I saw a koodo re...

Remember that the 620 is $250 for regular retail customers. The Team Store can only be used with an employee account. And I agree that the 620 is a better deal at $200, but remember that buying it from Telus would require a full cash payment. I think a lot of people would prefer to use their tab and pay nothing at Koodo for the 520. For you and me, the full cash payment isn't a dealbreaker but we live in a credit world where people want their stuff immediately and will pay for it (with interest) later (which is an interesting topic in itself, but I won't discuss it here as it's not really the place).
MarcusG wrote:

I was at a Koodo store getting a new sim card (didn't want to wait for mail) and I saw a koodo re...

The Ace and Ace 2x are both underpowered, as you stated, but it all depends on the user and the amount of money they have available to spend up front as these phones in combination with the tab are a decent enough value in my opinion.
MarcusG wrote:

@P-tor, I agree the tab is the key point..now if Koodo offered the 620 I'd pull the trigger
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MarcusG wrote:

I would too, but I think that Koodo really wanted a WP @$150, which was not possible with the 620.
MarcusG wrote:

Give it some time, 620 should be $150 by September...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MarcusG wrote:

Yeah, but that's 9 months after release. I'll always get a better deal as a device ages, but I wanted one now.
MarcusG wrote:

P-tor, Preaching to choir, I got a droid 18 months old; 18 months later a optimus 6 months old; 18 months later an S3. Better than my old day of a BB every 3 years