Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Avoiding data charges

I bought a phone for my mother who just wants to be able to text her kids. I bought a Lumia 530 and $25/m plan with a few calling minutes and texting included. I was told this would work fine and could turn the data off. When she said her picture messaging wouldn't work I was instructed to turn the data on but leave 'background data access to be restricted'. I'm now consistantly getting $7.50 charges for data usage of 1MB. The rep told me this wasn't fixable and that all phones do this. Does that mean it's impossible to use picture messaging on my plan without incurring data charges?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sadly, this seems to be the case, Pryvat. I have no idea why postpaid works like this: on prepaid, you can not use data at all and still use MMS. The only thing I can suggest that she only sends her picture messages while on WiFi but that sort of defies the purpose I guess of MMS in the first place. Wish I had better news for you 😞
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

Sadly, this seems to be the case, Pryvat. I have no idea why postpaid works like this: on prepaid...

I don't think you can send pic through wi-fi Sophia. Also, a little bit of digging seems to suggest that koodo uses two different systems for their backend. The prepaid system seems to run on something called redknee and maybe it it able to separate mms from other kinds of data. Pure guessing but may explain things.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/sanjeev-mk/19/916/846

http://www.hureca.com/en/sales-jobs.html?view=ca&q=Product+Manager+-+Koodo+Prepaid+%2814+MO+Temp...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Sadly, this seems to be the case, Pryvat. I have no idea why postpaid works like this: on prepaid...

Haha I knew I worded it clumsy 🙂 What I meant to say is not that prepaid sends pics over WiFi, but that you can send MMS without a data booster active. What we have been advocating for a long time now, is that Koodo should change their postpaid back end so that people can request to have a data block in place, while STILL being allowed to send MMS. It would help people like Pryvat and others who have no need for data, yet want to use MMS freely!
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

There is a simpler solution for Pryvat. Switch to koodo prepaid. If all they need is unlimited text and a few minutes to talk that only cost $20 on prepaid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Hee hee, I didn't want to be the one to say it 😃
Userlevel 6
No. Absolutely not. But you do have to make sure you have no apps running in the background. That is what's chewing up data. Sending pictures does require your data to be on but if you have unlimited messaging included in your plan there is no charge to send them or receive them.
Userlevel 3
If she never plans on using data you can turn restrict background data from running. Go to setting ->data sense-> turn on "restrict background data" then set it to always. This will prevent apps from using data unless unless the user initiates it.