Koodo Community

Community

Solved

100MB vs 500MB?

I have an unlocked Samsung Focus that my friend gave to me for free since he got a Galaxy Note 2. From my research it seems Koodo will give me the best value. I can't decide between the $30 plan and the $45 plan though. Both have basically the same stuff such as unlimited texting and whatnot, but I am wondering how much data I will need. The $30 plan has 100MB of data and the $45 one has 500MB. At home I use a ton of data, generally about 300-400GB per month. Obviously I won't be doing that, but still, 100MB seems like nothing. I don't know if it would be enough. I basically want to be able to browse the web wherever I am, pretty much as much as I want. I don't plan on streaming videos, but I may stream music every so often. I don't plan on playing games either. Thanks, EDIT: The $45 plan also has 200 minutes instead of 75, but I am a student and I really never call anyone. I doubt I would use more than 10 minutes per month. The only ones who ever actually call me are my parents, and those calls are infrequent and generally only last about 30 seconds.

28 replies

Userlevel 6
I'd say go with the 45$ Plan. Has a lot more value for just 15$ more.
Userlevel 7
300 to 400 GB at home?? Good lord, stop torrenting so many movies and games. 😛 You'll definitely want the $45 with 500 MB as a bumper for music and Facebook, some apps, etc. The overage rate is also very good, with an additional 500 MB coming in at $5. You say you don't call that much, which is fine, but the $45 data plan also has Unlimited incoming calls, a feature which is $10 to add on its own. I would definitely recommend that one.
Jonathan I wrote:

300 to 400 GB at home?? Good lord, stop torrenting so many movies and games. 😛 You'll definit...

Haha, I don't pirate anything. It's mostly from streaming HD video from Netflix/YouTube. I live in a household of 5 and we all stream stuff a lot. I also download a ton of random games. During the Steam Christmas sale I ended up getting over 200GB of games for about $70.
Alright, thanks. I didn't notice the overage rate. I'll probably get the $45 one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Actually, if you call that little, you might be better off with a Talk & Text plan (oddly enough, haha). It offers flexable data. Say you use around 500 MB per month, that would cost you $20 (25 minutes included and unlimited weekend) $15 for 500 MB and even if you go a bit over, that'll be only $20. You'd only need to spend a total of $35 to $40... unless you need other perks of the $45 plan, T&T seems your best bet 🙂
I'll check that out. I didn't really consider a "talk and text" plan when my primary use for the phone is data. xD
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
SupaLawlCat wrote:

I'll check that out. I didn't really consider a "talk and text" plan when my primary use for the ...

I know 😃 Why pay too much (I'm sure Koodo is grateful now for recommending something cheaper, hahahaha!)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So I would still get the 10% off right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
SupaLawlCat wrote:

Yes, however, I am unclear if you only get the 10% off the "base" fee of $20, or if data is included in that as well (I hope so, but somehow I doubt it)
SupaLawlCat wrote:

Mmm, alright. Doesn't really matter anyway. It'll be $5 maximum.
Userlevel 6
SupaLawlCat wrote:

Hi Melbourne, the SIM only discount includes rate plan and add-ons but doesn't apply to voice and data overages, taxes, credits and late payment charges 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
SupaLawlCat wrote:

Yannick, when you say data OVERAGES, does that mean the normal (flexible) data is included?
Userlevel 6
SupaLawlCat wrote:

Hey Sofia, nice one 🙂 Let me look into that and I'll get back to you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
SupaLawlCat wrote:

Thanks 😃
SupaLawlCat wrote:

Can't wait to know it lol I have a plan and I never really paid attention
Userlevel 6
SupaLawlCat wrote:

Hi there, I have an answer! Pay-per-use data will be considered overage as it's not a rate plan nor an add-on. Therefore, it won't be included in the SIM-discount.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
SupaLawlCat wrote:

Thanks ever so much for checking back on that, Yannick! Appreciate it!
Userlevel 6
SupaLawlCat wrote:

No problem Sophia, my pleasure 🙂
SupaLawlCat wrote:

I'm leaving Koodo that's official, I was told that the pay per use data was included in the 10% SIM discount. They lied, I would not have taken a plan with Koodo if I knew that.
SupaLawlCat wrote:

Thanks for the information. And to SkAshe, the 10% off is literally going to be $3 extra maximum. Probably not worth the trouble of switching carriers TBH. I doubt it would be cheaper anyway.