Koodo Community

Community

Question

WIll switching sim cards in the hub work?

I already have the Fido wireless home phone. If I want to switch to the Koodo wireless home phone and have the exact same home phone hub from Fido that Koodo supplies with their service, will switching the sim card in the hub work?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The supplier claims the device is locked to the carrier who first sold it to the customer. To my knowledge, there is no ability to unlock the device.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

The supplier claims the device is locked to the carrier who first sold it to the customer. To my ...

I would bring your hub into the store and try and test it with your new Koodo home phone sim.  If it doesnt work you can get the Koodo hub at the same time
David wrote:

The supplier claims the device is locked to the carrier who first sold it to the customer. To my ...

Hey guys,
Just curious, I would like to bring a friend transfer over from fido to koodo, but they are wondering If their fido hub works with koodo (need to test it out in store but from what I understand they already paid the unlock fee with fido ), would they still have to buy a new hub with koodo if they transfer over their line to koodo and already have a hub?

Thanks 
Userlevel 6
David wrote:

They'll most likely have to get the Koodo hub.
It's a bit more than carrier unlocking. The wireless home phone hub has the APN hard-programmed for the carrier it's associated with. That means a Fido hub will only work with a Fido sim, and vice versa.
You may be able to find a Koodo home phone hub used and buy that if it's much cheaper than buying it from carrier (but also watch out for the usual...blacklisting and carrier collections-blocks...it'd be fairly obvious since the hub would only work with one carrier).
On the flip side, referrals can work for the wireless home phone, and the referral credits can offset some of the upfront cost of the hub.
It's always a good time to switch from Fido to Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can unlock the hub for as little as $2.50, check eBay, Brandon.