Koodo Community
Question

Toll free calling

• 19 October 2019
  • 11 replies

I’m thinking of moving to WHP, but I’m getting conflicting information about toll free numbers.  I’ve seen posts which indicate that if you call a 1-800/888/877/etc number from your WHP and that number is terminated in the USA you will pay long distance charges.  I found that to be an odd claim as any “toll free” number should be toll free.  

So I called into Koodo and asked this question.  They referred me to technical support and said the same thing.  If you call a toll free number and it terminates in Canada there are no long distance charges but if the number terminates in the US then you pay long distance charges (to the US).

Can someone provide clarity on this matter?  How am I supposed to know where a toll free number will terminate?  It makes no sense they can charge you toll if it’s a toll free number and that company allows that number to be called from Canada.

Thanks.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well, “toll-free” is free when you call from a landline number. If you are calling from your cell (and the WHP), you will be charged as your normal minutes (The WHP has unlimited Canada-wide minutes anyway, so you don’t have to worry). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toll-free_telephone_number

As far as I know, in Canada if you are calling from a landline, these are free. From cell phones (if you are using a Canadian number and the calls originated from Canada), airtime is not covered, but there are no long distance charges. If you are calling while roaming with a Canadian number you will be charged long distance.

By the way, where did you get those posts in the forum that you are charged long distance for calling 800/888 numbers?

I agree 100% with your assessment of how it should work.  That if your WHP is in Canada and you make any toll free call to 1-800/888/etc that you need to pay for airtime (in this case with WHP, you have unlimited Canada wide so it doesn’t matter), but you should need to pay any toll, no matter where that call terminates.

I actually saw it on an external forum, https://www.gonevoip.ca/koodo-home-phone-residential-review.  I usually treat all forum claims skeptically until I can verify the information which is why I called Koodo directly to ask them.  That’s where I heard the sales rep say that this is true, and when I said it makes no sense she referred me to technical support and another rep said the same thing to me.

Thus my confusion.  I’m trying to get in writing from someone at Koodo to confirm this one way or another.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I agree 100% with your assessment of how it should work.  That if your WHP is in Canada and you make any toll free call to 1-800/888/etc that you need to pay for airtime (in this case with WHP, you have unlimited Canada wide so it doesn’t matter), but you should need to pay any toll, no matter where that call terminates.

I actually saw it on an external forum, https://www.gonevoip.ca/koodo-home-phone-residential-review.  I usually treat all forum claims skeptically until I can verify the information which is why I called Koodo directly to ask them.  That’s where I heard the sales rep say that this is true, and when I said it makes no sense she referred me to technical support and another rep said the same thing to me.

Thus my confusion.  I’m trying to get in writing from someone at Koodo to confirm this one way or another.

Well, the claim in your link was vague as it was hard to check the account and what number he/she called to. I wanted to see something in the forum where the account was validated and the charge was valid.

Anyway, which 800 number you are planning to call to? Was it a Canadian  or US business?

That’s what I was thinking too, that it’s an unsubstantiated claim. Which is why I decided to call Koodo directly to debunk the claim but they agreed that there are 800/etc numbers that could incur a charge.

It’s usually a company that US based but has Canadian offices.  For example to call for support on computer hardware.  So you never really know whether the call is being handled in Canada or that number actually goes to a US location.  Which of course leads me back to the original dilemma, shouldn’t all 1-800/888/etc calls be toll free regardless of where they terminate as there’s no way for an end customer to know?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If a Canadian company uses an US based firm and provides a 1800 number for customers, that number should be a toll-free for Canadians. 

Anyway, if you talked to a rep and they said so, then you can take it as their policy. They might to want to play safe to avoid any problem. Personally, I haven’t seen any specific complains about 1800 long distance charge in the forum.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Cut to the chase… if you have a Koodo phone call Walmart or Progressive Insurance US 800 customer service number, listen to the options and then hang up. Check your usage 24 hours later. Don’t waste your time dealing with San Salvador call centers or others trying to dig up chapter and verse.

If who’s gonna pay for 800 calls is your main criterion for picking a phone company, perhaps you should consider Facebook instead…  :zipper_mouth:

lol.  Ya, you’d think it’d be an answer from Koodo that is consistent and makes logical sense.  I do engineering so for me everything is details, maybe to my own detriment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

lol.  Ya, you’d think it’d be an answer from Koodo that is consistent and makes logical sense.  I do engineering so for me everything is details, maybe to my own detriment.

You do engineering and you trust manuals more than practical test results?

Indeed, but probably should see the manual say that something should happen before doing the practical.  I like to read all the terms of something before signing up.  Also since I don’t have the service I can’t actually do any tests.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We have called many 1800 type numbers, never been charged. Once I had a nice chat with the employee and he said he was situated in Florida. Many of them are iv the Philippines or India.

Never been charged for any of them!

Thanks Sophia!