Koodo Community
Solved

NO Dial Tone (WHP Stopped Working)

• 18 April 2020
  • 4 replies

My Mom is 92, and lives in a LTC Nursing Home. She has been using a ZTE - WHP successfully for 4 months. The concept is absolutely perfect for a LTC resident on a budget! She has a base phone and a second handset. Two days ago, she could no longer call out or receive calls. There is NO dial tone and the light is green on the modem. We did try to turn on/off the modem but since there is a back-up battery, I guess now that it might be better to try a reset? How do I do that? In short, I need some quick and easy things to try that I can explain to a PSW, or other support staff, since I cannot physically enter the LTC facility myself. Damm that Covid! I was wondering, in particular, could a loose SIM card or internal battery problem prevent a dial tone? Are there any settings on the handset itself that could disable the dial tone? Also, who do I contact to test if there is in fact a signal reaching the modem? It is close enough to the window. It simply just decided to not work a couple of days ago. Maybe a PSW adjusted something by mistake? Any ideas ASAP since it is very hard to contact my Mom.

icon

Best answer by LTC User 18 April 2020, 04:32

Thank you for your quick reply. I will try the battery and SIM idea over the weekend with the PSW worker and let you know. I will also try using another landline phone if possible if the problem persists. Great ideas that make good sense. I was just wondering if anyone knows … are there any settings on a handset that could ‘disable’ the dial tone itself and prevent calls coming in or going out? It is a new phone, but maybe my mom or a PSW did something to screw it up?

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Take the battery out and reinsert the Sim card. See if there's another phone to plug in to confirm if that's the issue. Does it take any calls at all?

Thank you for your quick reply. I will try the battery and SIM idea over the weekend with the PSW worker and let you know. I will also try using another landline phone if possible if the problem persists. Great ideas that make good sense. I was just wondering if anyone knows … are there any settings on a handset that could ‘disable’ the dial tone itself and prevent calls coming in or going out? It is a new phone, but maybe my mom or a PSW did something to screw it up?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I wanna say no. I’ve certainly never seen it, but that would require looking into the user manual of that particular handset. Another option for troubleshooting is to put the sim card in another phone or modem. It’ll work just fine in a cell phone, it’s just expensive the texting and data. 

Thank you both again for your quick response and thanks to the patience of the LTC worker who reset the phone. Problem is now resolved and I can talk to my mom once again. Stay safe and stay healthy Mobile Masters!