Koodo Community

Community

Solved

New data pricing is a ripoff

Koodo's new data rate charge of $7.00 per 100 MB for overages is a huge ripoff. Back in April I was 240 MB over on my bill, and all it cost me was $4.75, or $1.99 per 100 MB. Now I have to keep okaying getting nailed for $7.00 every 100 MB? I am paying $40.oo a month just for 1G...Freedom offers 10 G for the same price...guess where I am heading...

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
That was a single day offer to port over that was a retaliatory measure. I heard that in rare cases you can get their retentions to give it but that's all. But yes I get the spirit that they offer far more data for the same price. If they work better for you then do what is best for you. You could have always gotten a larger data plan with koodo rather than consistently paying overages as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also remember that freedom works in zones. If you arent part of their "Home" network then it'll get pricey for you.
I am in Toronto so I am fine. Whatever profit monger came up with your new ghastly overage rate is going to cost you guys business. No longer a consumer friendly option.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi there!

Virgin: 
  • Data use over what is included in your plan is $7/100 MB.
Fido:
  • Overage Rate : $7/100 MB
Freedom: Have you ever wonder why only this company offers such a low price?

Take a look at the other plans that Koodo offer to determine the right fit, like this you will be able to use your phone wherever you go without limitations!

Enjoy!

There is no justifying such a large price increase, and only explanation for exact price matching amongst competitors is collusion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I myself think that it's way too high but it is what it is. Do whatever is best for you.
Userlevel 6
Freedom is cheaper, yes. BUT, and it's a no-go but for me.....their home coverage is spotty. I am in Vancouver, and I have friends on Freedom. They keep telling me that their new LTE network is great...when it works. Their coverage is still spotty, even in major downtown cores.

I personally could save ~$20 a month for the same data I have now (6GB) if I switched to Freedom. Notice how I am still here? It's because I like 100% network coverage and the reliability of the Koodo/Telus network. I am also happy with Koodo service/staff.
I was satisfied too...for years...till they arbitrarily decided to start ripping me off for data...on my previous plan I had an extra 250 MB...for $5.00...so in a couple of months $7.00 for 100 MB is the going rate? 350 % increase is unjustified...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ken MacLean wrote:

I was satisfied too...for years...till they arbitrarily decided to start ripping me off for data....

But, you are the one changed your plan. If you didn't like new overage rate, then you could keep your old plan.

Ken MacLean wrote:

I was satisfied too...for years...till they arbitrarily decided to start ripping me off for data....

replacement of damaged phone should not be seen as an invite to gouge...and when at the counter I was told I was getting a better deal...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ken MacLean wrote:

You could keep your plan when you upgrade your phone.  You just needed to use Tab S.
What was your plan?  New plan can be better, but it's depends on your needs/usage.
Ken MacLean wrote:

I was not given that option. Too late now. Either switching providers or just turning data off. I refuse to be hosed in this manner...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ken MacLean wrote:

You get extra 100 MB for $7.00 if you text back "yes".

They also give you option to login to SS  (just click the link), and give you better rate of choices of 300 MB for $10 or 1GB for $20.

It's still more expensive than your old plan's overage rate, but it's little better.

TBH, I don't like their overage rate neither and I believe it's gouging ppl. So, I don't usually buy extra data unless its really necessary.

If you switch your providers, then make sure check their overage rate and coverage area too.  And/or  keep eyes on Koodo( or any providers) for better promo plans.
Ken MacLean wrote:

They have already nailed me for $28.00 in four extras...good customer service would have converted the costing automatically. I have been on the site and was never offered those other pricing options
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ken MacLean wrote:

You must received text like this when you reached your limit. And my overage rate is $10 for 100mb
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ken MacLean wrote:

I think these options only show for those on the Shock Free Data plans
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Userlevel 7
Ken, did you take a look at Public Mobile? It's all pre-paid so there are no overage rates and you're able to build a plan to exactly what you need it to do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The new plan overage prices do suck.  Thats why I am not changing from my current grandfathered plan.  Getting hit with 1 time of overage fees on my old plan makes up for the fact it is a few dollars more expensive when comparing overage prices
and again you now miss the point. I only got the 1 GB option the first time. Afer that it was always just the 100 MB for $7.00, and once I approved it 3 times and got to $21.00, any reputable supplier would automatically convert it to 1 GB. Instead Koodo chooses to rip me off. Keep defending your shitty company...If your words meant anything my account would be fixed already...
Userlevel 6
Ken MacLean wrote:

and again you now miss the point. I only got the 1 GB option the first time. Afer that it was alw...

Firstly, the Mobile Masters are customers just like you. They do not work for Koodo, so they can’t access or change your account. Secondly, if you are consistently needing more data, why don’t you step up to a plan with a higher data alottment?
Ken MacLean wrote:

and again you now miss the point. I only got the 1 GB option the first time. Afer that it was alw...

This is the first time I have been jacked up like this - my old plan was very customer friendly...this new one is not...and I plan to...with Freedom...thanks for clarifying your connection with Koodo...cheers dude...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ken MacLean wrote:

Good luck with Freedom 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ken MacLean wrote:

"I approved it 3 times and got to $21.00, any reputable supplier would automatically convert it to 1 GB. Instead Koodo chooses to rip me off. " I don't know which company does converting your overage like that. But you approved it and got charged. That's not rip off. You should check plan contents even if the said you were getting a better deal, And you are the one changed your plan...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ken MacLean wrote:

Sales people will up sell usually. At the end of the day it'd up to you to decide if you're getting a worse deal or not. I'll say it again you do what works best for you. Better a act quick RE Freedom if you go ahead. The rumoured new plans are less good.