Koodo Community

Community

Question

Koodo Home Wireless Phone

Hello...I just set up a new Koodo Home Wireless Phone with the porting of my previous home phone number from Bell to Koodo. The porting of my existing home phone number from Bell to Koodo took less than 15 minutes and appears to be working fine. My question is...when is it 'safe' to terminate my Bell account? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The porting step automatically cancels your Bell account. They will send you a final bill on the same timeline as your previous ones.
Thank you for the reply.  I noted that I can make out-going calls but no incoming calls yet.  From what I can tell, the porting can take several hours.  Is that correct?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
RC wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  I noted that I can make out-going calls but no incoming calls yet....

Porting of landlines is the second slowest porting process. It can take 3 - 5 business days. You should still be able to receive incoming calls on your old service until the port completes.
Userlevel 7
RC wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  I noted that I can make out-going calls but no incoming calls yet....

You probably still have a temporary number. If you have a cell phone, you can call it to see what phone number is currently being used by it if people need to reach you before the port completes.
RC wrote:

It's always safe and best to cancel your koodo home phone and go with 'magic jack'.. ^^ http://www.magicjack.com/index.html.. i paid the 35 USD for the jack=60$ Canadian.. it arrived in 10 days and yeah over the christmas holiday...... same thing i hook it to any home phone and i make FREE calls to anywhere in canada and america!.. and YES can download the free app.... and makes the calls and get free text messages in north america while using the magicjack from my cell phone....these companies like koodo are cheating.. so the 60 dollar CDN paid the first year and for the jack.. the renewal is either 39$ a year or.... 89$ for 3 years after that.... 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
RC wrote:

And if you either don't have high speed internet or it goes down due to a power outage magic jack won't work at all. VoIP systems are all well and good, but they absolutely have their drawbacks.
RC wrote:

Yes you do have a point Timo.. smiles.. if a 3 day power outage due to ice storm that does happen once every 4 years on average it won't work.. then again most have cellphones in that case.. with the application that u download to ur cellphone for free it then works via wireless connection too.. so.. still secure and saving much more with the magic jack... i wonder also.. since one has to plug the koodo hub into an outlet in an area with good mobile reception in order for the home phone to work.. if a power failure then also the koodo home phone won't work? Or does it have an internal battery?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
RC wrote:

It has an internal battery.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
RC wrote:

Burning through expensive cellular data to make phone calls is a strange definition of savings...
Userlevel 5
RC wrote:

Yes, David, but the battery doesn't last more than an hour if the phone is in use. Also, most people use cordless phones which don't work in a power outage anyway, even with Bell landlines.

The best solution is to buy a powerpack as a general backup for  power outages .  They are portable and can handle powering a phone and Koodo hub for a day (or  recharging your cell for days).  They have a built in inverter and household outlet(s) so they are also useful for lamps, radios and very handy for camping.  The advantages (and monthly charge) for a Koodo home phone greatly outweigh the fact that they are dependent on electricity.
Userlevel 5
RC wrote:

Coryne, the quality of calls on my Koodo Home phone are crystal clear compared to VOIP.  I camp at places that don't provide wifi (so much for using VOIP there) but I can use my Koodo phone to keep in touch with friends and family all across Canada, saving my use of talk time and data limits on my Koodo cell phone.  With my powerpack I can even use it when I don't have an electrical site.  I'm glad you are happy with your choice but, for use anywhere in Canada, Koodo home phone is a more useful solution for most.
Userlevel 5
RC wrote:

Coryne, the quality of calls on my Koodo Home phone are crystal clear compared to VOIP.  I camp at places that don't provide wifi (so much for using VOIP there) but I can use my Koodo phone to keep in touch with friends and family all across Canada, saving my use of talk time and data limits on my Koodo cell phone.  With my powerpack I can even use it when I don't have an electrical site.  I'm glad you are happy with your choice but, for use anywhere in Canada, Koodo home phone is a more useful solution for most.
Thank you David and Mathieu for your answers/feedback - very helpful.
Userlevel 7
RC wrote:

No problem! Let us know if you have any questions in the future!
Userlevel 5
RC wrote:

Just want to add, when I switched from Bell to Koodo Home Phone, I still had a dial tone on the Bell line for several days.  Then the offers began (being Bell, they were, of course, too late!) and I'm still receiving them by mail 12 months later.  You've made a good choice, RC, and you will save a bundle in the first year with Koodo.