Koodo Community
Question

Home Phone / Call Forwarding /What is the best option?

• 28 August 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi, I need to set up a phone number for my office but I’d like all of the calls to be forwarded to my cell phone. Is setting up a home phone hub the best way to do this? I’m hoping it will come with a new phone number that I can use for my business and then just forward all of the calls to my cell phone. Bonus if it has it’s own voicemail and extra bonus if I can text from that number as well.

The other option I’d been exploring is purchasing a phone plan and just having that forward to my phone but that seems to be really confusing on the koodo website for some reason. 

Thanks so much for your help! 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Particularly if you only intend to forward all the calls to your cell phone, I'd say going with a VoIP line would be far more cost effective, (think $50 a year rather than $20 a month).

Ok. Is a VoIP the hub that Koodo sells? Yes all the calls will be forwarded to my phone. I’m assuming the VoIP comes with a phone number, right? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ok. Is a VoIP the hub that Koodo sells? Yes all the calls will be forwarded to my phone. I’m assuming the VoIP comes with a phone number, right? 

Koodo doesn't offer VoIP services, their hub is a cellular interface device that allows you to connect a landline phone to the cell network.

VoIP lines work via the internet. There are numerous options and I'm hardly an expert, but here's an example of one that might work:

https://www.freephoneline.ca/features

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There are only 2500 minutes of call forwarding in a wireless homephone plan.  If you did this, you need to include the call forwarding add-on

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I second @Timo Tuokkola suggestion of a VOIP service. For a small cost, it will allow you to fully manage your incoming calls. You can have time of day direction, voice assistant, voice mail, text translation and forwarding, and many other services. You can also have local or toll-free numbers, or more than one number feeding the same service. I’ve used VOIP.ms to good success.

Ok! Cool thanks so much, I never would have figured this out on my own :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am using NetTalk VOIP (US based with Canadian presence) which provides unlimited Canada & US talk for ~$60 USD per year (including  HST). You may either get a new phone number or can port an existing number. Call forwarding (from VOIP to you cell) can be done over the internet, which allows you to forward calls from home, vacation, etc. One other useful feature is the voice mail allows sending an audio file to your email address each time your receive a voicemail message. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I use Fongo. It's free without text for Canadian calls. Texting costs something like $2-3/month last I checked. Everything is handled through their app, which I find adequate on Android (it's been a while since I used it on an iPhone). You can also use it on a PC. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Been using CallCentric.com for years. Extremely cheap, powerful call forwarding/screening features for US and Canada. 800-numbers and presence in many area codes available cheaply. SMS supported. Forwarding of voicemail and SMS via email if you want. Wifi calling from your cell anywhere.

All you need is an internet connection at your home base. Tech support via internet only, but they respond to tickets within a few hours 24/7.