Koodo Community

can switch my old koodo cell number to my whp home phone and cancel the new whp number?

• 23 October 2017
  • 32 replies

Show first post

32 replies

Latest update for our number switch...We just got our WHP and are really happy with it. After a month we found we needed the WHP number and our cell number changed around. I sent a message on FB and was asked to phone in so I did. The staff at Koodo Customer Service tried really hard to accommodate our request and asked if I would phone again, which I did in a day or so. They had figured it out and we gave it a try (its a three way or triangle switch) which they tried, only took a few minutes and it worked perfectly. The cost was OK, saved getting new sim cards and/or numbers, a whole lot of time and running around. We are very happy happy! Thanks Koodo staff!.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Latest update for our number switch...We just got our WHP and are really happy with it. After a ...Glad it worked out for you, but for the sake of anyone finding this post down the road, this would be anything but a straightforward triangle swap. Triangle swaps used to be possible in the CDMA days, when they could be used to swap the phones on two lines. (phone a is put into a "holding pattern", phone b is feed to line a, then phone a is moved from the holding pattern onto line b). Since SIM cards can only ever be used on one line, that type of swap simply doesn't work anymore. Switching numbers between lines is technically possible, but does require some complex gymnastics in the back end, with a distinct possibility that something could go wrong and one of the numbers could be lost. It would not be an option available for front line agents and is not likely something koodo would encourage.
Latest update for our number switch...We just got our WHP and are really happy with it. After a ...Thank you for your comment.   Yes, I do understand how it works and yes, there is that chance of loosing a number.  I made the post as I said I would give the end result and as a thank you to the staff that helped us. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Latest update for our number switch...We just got our WHP and are really happy with it. After a ...As I said, my comment was not aimed at you, it was aimed at the person who will find this thread via a Google search two years from now.
Latest update for our number switch...We just got our WHP and are really happy with it. After a ...Actually, no, there is not any chance of losing (one o) a number. They don't even give your number to anyone else for 90 days after you cancel a line.
Change line 1's number to a random number. Assign the old number to line 2. Then assign the other number to line 1.
Since Koodo is a no customer service brand, they don't do things that require more effort than clicking two buttons. I am surprised they did it in this case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Latest update for our number switch...We just got our WHP and are really happy with it. After a ...Yes. For 90 days the number is locked, and cannot be assigned to any line other than the one it was originally assigned to. This means, however, that the only way to assign it to a different line is to manually release it into the pool of available numbers, at which point it is available to be grabbed by anyone. First come, first served.