Koodo Community
Question

Alcatel Home phone power loss.

Power OFF back ON under 15 seconds unit wifi light comes on then no lights and unit seems off.  Owner is 87 very confusing.  If power left off for 20 seconds or more then back ON everything boots up.  The alcatel unit is just over 15 months old.  In Ontario so no wifi being used in this unit only phone service.

Anyone have any ideas it did not do this before.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When left untouched, does it lose power?

If you just leave it alone after reapplying the power within 15 secs it never comes back online.  If you unplug it again for more than 15 secs and plug it back in then it will work.  To the best of my knowledge if power is not interrupted it is Ok.  Having said that my mom is in a Retirement home and I can not go in right now and watch it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm not sure what to suggest. Why is it necessary to unplug it so often? When we had a WHP we just set it and forget it, left plugged in 24/7. Is that not possible for your mom's unit?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m not familiar with the home phone but have you tried reviewing the manual for guidance?

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/101-koodo-wireless-home-phone

Tough to control the electricity coming into a facility yes I wish it would stay on all the time and not breakdown ever.  This model has no battery backup in it unlike the ZTE which does.   This built in battery would prevent this from happening.  I had an old ZTE but Koodo would not reactivate it. 

In the manual it states automatic power on when power is applied.  Anything else is a reset. 

Tough to tell someone with early stage dementia what to do when you can not access the room because of the lockdown in retirement homes and the like.  Put in a bag take it home and try to duplicate problem.

Might try an external back up power supply but trying to keep things simple.  Replacement WHP none online and only 1 in Ottawa. Building has a backup generator but it takes a second or 2 too kick in which is probably a problem in my case.   Been living here for 9 months no problems so something is failing in the Alcatel Hub.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Tough to control the electricity coming into a facility yes I wish it would stay on all the time and not breakdown ever.  This model has no battery backup in it unlike the ZTE which does.   This built in battery would prevent this from happening.  I had an old ZTE but Koodo would not reactivate it. 

In the manual it states automatic power on when power is applied.  Anything else is a reset. 

Tough to tell someone with early stage dementia what to do when you can not access the room because of the lockdown in retirement homes and the like.  Put in a bag take it home and try to duplicate problem.

Might try an external back up power supply but trying to keep things simple.  Replacement WHP none online and only 1 in Ottawa. Building has a backup generator but it takes a second or 2 too kick in which is probably a problem in my case.   Been living here for 9 months no problems so something is failing in the Alcatel Hub.

Was it a ZTE purchased from Koodo?

Yes it was.   I bought the ZTE from Koodo about 5 yrs ago, used it a for a 2 years then stopped using it.  Wanted to use it again 1.5 yrs ago.  I went to a kiosk and three reps tried a lot of things to get it reactivated after about two hours we gave up.  I bought this Alcatel unit and started using it.   Not 100% certain I still even have it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I dont think home phone units get deactivated.  You should be able to re-use it just by inserting the Koodo sim

This is what I tried to do last year with no success so you are telling me something has changed since then?  It still has an imei number which needs access to the network and on a home phone how do you key it in?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you have access to your mom’s SIM card, all you need to do is swap it over to the other device… would that be possible?

Need to find the old device in my house.  I know how to switch sim cards but hope I don’t  screw up the remote stuff like I did once swapping a cell phone sim into the ZTE device and vice versa.  One of the devices needed to be reset by Koodo tech support when I was done.  

Where my mom is they have some good PSW’s and other support staff who are doing things outside of the norm.  If we have more glitches will give it a whirl if I find it.

Thanks Ken

Step one I found it.  Had turned unit off and battery is still fully charged.   In the future will give it a try.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Let us know... I'm pretty sure you won't need to register the IMEI or do anything else, so good luck :)