Koodo Community
Question

Why does Koodo make it so hard to join Koodo?

Just a general question/complaint. 

I am moving to Calgary from Toronto this weekend, and for over a month now I have been trying to set up a Koodo Phone plan ahead of time, and it's been made difficult to impossible at every turn. 

First I called and asked if they would send a SIM card to my Ontario address but for an Alberta number. Answer: No. For... Reasons I guess. 

Next I said okay well can you ship the sim card to my friends house and I will pick it up. Also no. 

Last, since I finally have an address in Calgary I changed my credit card address and ordered a SIM card, thinking "okay great it will be waiting for me there when I get there next week" except oopsie, Equifax hasn't updated my new address yet because of course they haven't it's been like a week. 

So basically it's impossible to order a SIM card ahead of time online, you have to go to a store, which also means you can't get the discount for ordering online. 

Honestly how hard it is it to add an "I'm moving" tick box to the order process, where you can do this revolutionary thing where you enter the old billing address for the purpose of credit checks.

Its intensely frustrating to want to buy a service, talk to multiple reps, and be offered solutions that are completely unworkable. Like "get an Ontario number and then pay money to change it when you arrive" 

At this point I genuinely wonder if I should sign up with another carrier just out of spite, since Koodo has been singularly unhelpful throughout this process.  

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think you are in an unique situation. The problem was just the credit card. As Koodo cannot verify your credit, it just can’t ship. I don’t think the problem was unique to Koodo. Other carriers would face similar problem.

If you had a month to prepare in advance, I don’t understand why you didn’t order a SIM to your Calgary address. When you arrive in Toronto, you would simply change the address there.

I think you are in an unique situation. The problem was just the credit card. As Koodo cannot verify your credit, it just can’t ship. I don’t think the problem was unique to Koodo. Other carriers would face similar problem.

If you had a month to prepare in advance, I don’t understand why you didn’t order a SIM to your Calgary address. When you arrive in Toronto, you would simply change the address there.

I'm moving TO Calgary. 

I tried to order a SIM to my Toronto address, but they refused to send a SIM with an Alberta phone number to an Ontario address, so I would have had to pay extra to change the number when I arrived in Calgary. That's what I was told by a Koodo rep. 

I mean I guess if "moving" is a unique situation, sure it's unique. I'm just a little shocked that Koodo has no solution in place for people who are moving and thus have addresses that are changing, since I'm hardly the first person to move cities.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oops, I read too quickly and thought you were going to Toronto.

Shipping a SIM/phone to another address different from your “verified” credit card address would open up a dangerous door to fraud. They mentioned they lost ton of money due to credit card fraud in the past.

I recognize the fraud risk, which is why I thought it was odd they wouldn't let me ship it to my verified address when I called them three weeks ago. 

It also doesn't escape my notice that a car dealership, electricity company, and internet service provider (Koodos own parent company Telus) seem to have zero issue selling me services despite my credit report address and credit card address not matching. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am not really sure I am following you, did you order a phone from Telus also? and they allowed you to do this? If possible, can you show me a link to their procedure?

I phoned Telus, said "I'm moving next week, I would like to buy internet for [New Address], I'm interested in [X Plan]"

Their rep took my credit card number, and did a credit check. So thus far just like Koodo. Then he sold me a plan. It's all set up already.

*Shrug* literally only Koodo seems to have this "your equifax address doesn't match your credit card address" problem. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So you bought internet from Telus? The situation and practice is different though.

How much did Telus/Shaw would lose if you didn’t show up at the new address? and how much Koodo would lose if they sent a phone out? Koodo would lose the phone and it is almost impossible to recover.

No I'm trying to buy a BYOD plan, which is why I said I wanted them to send me a SIM, not a phone. 

If I'm some secret fraudster they're down what, ten bucks for the SIM? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No I'm trying to buy a BYOD plan, which is why I said I wanted them to send me a SIM, not a phone. 

If I'm some secret fraudster they're down what, ten bucks for the SIM? 

Probably they would lose $1 for a SIM and $5 for shipping but the rule is applied to all postpaid though. Their credit check system didn’t differentiate if you are buying a BYOD plan or a phone with Tab unfortunately. 

You could submit an idea thread to ask them to improve. If there are many people like you, they might implement it.

But again, your situation is unique. I would suggest you check out with Fido/Virgin and see if they allow it . Vote with your convenience and money.

I mean I likely will be going with Fido/Virgin because ive found this frustrating. As I said at the start this is kind of a complaint thread (since the "contact us" options on their page are pretty abysmal)

I don't disagree that the situation is a little niche. Usually though when there's a niche situation I call the company and work out a solution. When I called Koodo they were just kinda like "nope you're up the creek without a paddle I guess"

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Could you not simply have ordered the phone at your Toronto address with a Toronto number and changed the number/plan AFTER you moved to Calgary?

Badge +4

Since you’re opting for a BYOD plan and don’t need a phone, you should be able to purchase a SIM card in-store. Tell the store rep you’ll activate the SIM card at home. To avoid charges, activate the SIM card yourself when registering for your postpaid or prepaid self-serve account.

The charge is $45 if a Koodo rep activates your phone or performs the account set up over the phone. You can also do a phone number change from within your self-serve account, or it’s a $10 charge when a Koodo rep assists over the phone. I’ll provide a link to the fees. On that page, click on “service fees” to see a breakdown of charges.

Most of the fees Koodo charges are tasks that can be completed free of charge from your postpaid or prepaid self-serve account. If for some reason, there’s an issue that is beyond your control where you can’t resolve a problem through your self-serve account, there is no charge to you when seeking help from a Koodo rep.

Contact Us | Service Fees

Since you’re opting for a BYOD plan and don’t need a phone, you should be able to purchase a SIM card in-store. Tell the store rep you’ll activate the SIM card at home. To avoid charges, activate the SIM card yourself when registering for your postpaid or prepaid self-serve account.

The charge is $45 if a Koodo rep activates your phone or performs the account set up over the phone. You can also do a phone number change from within your self-serve account, or it’s a $10 charge when a Koodo rep assists over the phone. I’ll provide a link to the fees. On that page, click on “service fees” to see a breakdown of charges.

Most of the fees Koodo charges are tasks that can be completed free of charge from your postpaid or prepaid self-serve account. If for some reason, there’s an issue that is beyond your control where you can’t resolve a problem through your self-serve account, there is no charge to you when seeking help from a Koodo rep.

Contact Us | Service Fees

Thank you this is very helpful

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Although this will work for prepaid, last time I checked it's not possible to activate a postpaid sim card yourself. You can only swap out the existing sim card on the line.