Koodo Community
Question

Cash grab and forcing me into a store during Covid

• 8 January 2021
  • 4 replies

I tried to buy three sim cards for my family: myself, my wife, and my daughter all on a bring your own phone plan with the current special.  The terrible web page wouldn’t allow me to order more than one sim in an order so I had to do three separate orders.  Then I received the following Email back from Koodo:

Hello,

We hope you are doing great!

We would like to inform you that your online order: HFOXXXXXX has been successfully approved. However, we regret to inform you that we have not been able to process your orders HFOXXXXX and HFOXXXXXXX, due to the fact that we are taking extra precautions to protect you from potential unauthorized access to your account or fraudulent activity. Therefore, we need to validate any NEW purchase in store.

If you are interested in  add more lines in your account, we recommend visiting a Koodo shop so, one of our store representatives could verify your identity and see if they can activate a new line for you. Kindly be aware that any in-store activation comes with a $45.00 connection fee that would appear on your first Koodo bill. However, you would be given a personalized walkthrough of your Koodo services by the store representatives. 

We apologize for the inconvenience it might cause.

Thank you for your comprehension.

Koodo Webstore

Honestly, what kind of bs cash grab nonsense is this? Especially given the current Covid climate you want me to risk my health going into your store? Give me a freaking break.  Why is it hard for you to take my money over the internet and give me what you claim to offer on your website? 

Give your heads a shake Koodo.  Not a good look for your company.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It's surprisjngly common to do fraudulent activity on a large scale otherwise. This is one of Koodo’s methods to minimize it, by making you go in if you want to open multiple lines at the same time. Conveniently though even if you all independently open accounts and decide to merge later, you'll get charged as much as an activation. I thoihut that the 45 dollar fee was currently being waived but maybe that expired.

Well… Canadian carriers are also exceptionally greedy so the connection fee at 45 dollar is the current standard for the big 3. It'll be 50 in a year or two, etc and keep growing.

Yes, at the time I placed my orders the $45 connection fee was being waved and they were offering a bonus $100 credit to a new account.  The $45 connection fee is still being offered, but the $100 credit has disappeared from the website.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ah yes the 100 dollar credit was part of boxing day deals that expired on the 4th. Oh good at least you still won't have to pay the fee at least.

I missed the part where that’s a helpful answer? They aren’t letting me complete my orders online?