Feedback
Buy phone outright as gift | Koodo Community
Koodo Community
Solved

Buy phone outright as gift

• 15 June 2021
  • 1 reply

I’m currently a Koodo customer. I want to buy my boyfriend a new phone, can I buy him a new phone through my Koodo account as if I am “upgrading my phone”? He is not with Koodo, he would put a different carrier SIM card in the new phone. I would just continue using the phone I already have. Will there be any activation issues/ are there any rules against doing this?

icon

Best answer by MilkyWay 15 June 2021, 21:34

I’m currently a Koodo customer. I want to buy my boyfriend a new phone, can I buy him a new phone through my Koodo account as if I am “upgrading my phone”? He is not with Koodo, he would put a different carrier SIM card in the new phone. I would just continue using the phone I already have. Will there be any activation issues/ are there any rules against doing this?

There is no issue with getting a new phone with Koodo. Since all phones are unlocked nowadays, he can easily put in his own SIM card and use it. 

That said, I would consider rethinking it through. It is not a great decision to make, since you will be subject to a Tab charge for a 24-month period. Any changes made to your plan will trigger a penalty, forcing you to pay the remaining Tab balance and Tab Bonus balance. 

In the unfortunate event that there is a breakdown in your relationship, you will be the one forced to continue making those payments until the Tab is finished. You will also be unable to upgrade to a new device without any penalties until the 24-month period is completed.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There is no issue with getting a new phone with Koodo. Since all phones are unlocked nowadays, he can easily put in his own SIM card and use it. 

That said, I would consider rethinking it through. It is not a great decision to make, since you will be subject to a Tab charge for a 24-month period. Any changes made to your plan will trigger a penalty, forcing you to pay the remaining Tab balance and Tab Bonus balance. 

In the unfortunate event that there is a breakdown in your relationship, you will be the one forced to continue making those payments until the Tab is finished. You will also be unable to upgrade to a new device without any penalties until the 24-month period is completed.