Koodo Community
Solved

Wireless Home Phone Call Quality

I just got the Koodo wireless home phone. When I make calls I can hear perfectly, but the person on the other end can barely hear me. It’s very quiet and choppy. The wireless device is up on the 3rd floor near a window and shows perfect reception. I’m using a brand new set of cordless phones. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

icon

Best answer by rikkster 14 December 2020, 20:40

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is the problem only with one person or with everyone you call?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does this happen with multiple numbers you call? Or only specific numbers?

I am curious how clear wireless home phone is.  I had switched to VoIP for about a month thru different set up & when I said Hello - there was a delay & had to say it again so person on other end could hear me.  Even though we were saving about $20 a month - we ended up going back to Telus landline.

Just wondering if Koodo is the same?  Why are the charges for long distance not included? I do not call out of Canada so the prices shouldn’t be too bad, I’m guessing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am curious how clear wireless home phone is.  I had switched to VoIP for about a month thru different set up & when I said Hello - there was a delay & had to say it again so person on other end could hear me.  Even though we were saving about $20 a month - we ended up going back to Telus landline.

Just wondering if Koodo is the same?  Why are the charges for long distance not included? I do not call out of Canada so the prices shouldn’t be too bad, I’m guessing.

It depends on where you are residing. As the WHP uses Koodo/Telus cellular network, its calling quality depends on the cellular reception in your area. If you are having no issue with Koodo at your home then the WHP should not be an issue. 

I get quite good reception with Koodo even though we are rural - so maybe this might be worth a try!  Thank you Dinh for your response!

My problems are similar to those above (feeney43). On my Koodo wireless home phone  (ZTE WF723CA) we hear incoming calls well but our callers cannot hear us due to the poor transmission of outgoing voice.  We are using brand new Panasonic cordless phones. I notice that the indicator on the WHP switches between LTE (green) and UMTS (orange) with poor transmission quality. I live in an urban area and have excellent service on my Koodo cell phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you try moving the device through the house a bit? Near a window works best and away from large appliances. We had the WHP for a few years and it actually worked better than our cellphones… so I’m surprised!

Thank you, Sophia. i plan to try that. ESF

WHP base moved to a window. Now routinely showing 4-bars of signal strength on the LTE (green) network (only 3-bars at previous location). However, during a call, the base indicates it is using the UMTS (orange) network (also now at 4-bars). Is it normal that the system changes LTE to UMTS on a call? Is UMTS inferior to LTE?

ESF

Userlevel 7

The system adapts itself automatically to operate with the best available signal. See “WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GSM, UMTS AND LTE” https://commsbrief.com/difference-between-gsm-umts-lte/

to learn more.

Any solution to this? We have had our Koodo ZTE WF723CA for 10 months, and it’s become unusable. 3-4 bars, and the incoming sound is great. Choppy/broken outgoing sound that makes conversations impossible. Trying to get help from Koodo has been like putting hot pokers in my eyes.

Badge +4

Any solution to this? We have had our Koodo ZTE WF723CA for 10 months, and it’s become unusable. 3-4 bars, and the incoming sound is great. Choppy/broken outgoing sound that makes conversations impossible. Trying to get help from Koodo has been like putting hot pokers in my eyes.

Have you tried repositioning the WF723CA near a window? (Preferably away from large appliances or devices which may cause electrical interference).

Is the WF723A’s power adapter plugged into a wall outlet? (Not a power bar or extension cord).

Is the RJ11 cable from the phone to the WF723CA less than 10 metres in length? (A shorter length of cable reduces line loss and line noise).

Are the power cord and RJ11 phone cable seated/connected securely to the WF723CA? (Check all connections).

Thanks Rikkster

The whole front of our house is glass, but I recently moved it right by the front window in the porch. (awkward for taking calls, but...) Played around with the angle of the phone, etc, until getting the most consistent 4 bar signal. It’s plugged into the wall, and the phone is 9” away from it with a 3’ line. We’ve even tried 3 different phones to make sure it wasn’t them.

As I mentioned, incoming voice seems to be fine. We have no problem hearing. But nobody can hear us clearly enough to have a conversation.

Badge +4

Try ‘resetting’ the WF723CA. Power off and unplug the device. Remove the back cover, battery and SIM card. Leave the SIM card out for a minute or two. Re-install the SIM card, battery and back cover. Plug the device in, then power on the WF723CA. Since this device does not have a physical reset button, this is the only way to ‘reset’ the device. This may resolve the issue. Keep us posted.

Thanks Rikkster.  Done. I’ll post tomorrow after testing it. Fingers crossed.

Update:

Took your advice.  Two long calls with no issues. So far, so good - thanks.  First time ever with a decent call on this thing.

A bit of a pain to have the unit where it is - not easily accessible. But I’m happy  to have it figured out.

Badge +4

Update:

Took your advice.  Two long calls with no issues. So far, so good - thanks.  First time ever with a decent call on this thing.

A bit of a pain to have the unit where it is - not easily accessible. But I’m happy  to have it figured out.

Thank you for the update, Shaun. I’m happy to hear the reset worked! It’s possible that all the unit really needed was a reset. Experiment by putting the WF723CA back to its original location and monitor call quality. 

Hi,

I moved my wireless phone box near a window and not near appliances. there is no change and still unclear. any other solutions?

Badge +4

Hi,

I moved my wireless phone box near a window and not near appliances. there is no change and still unclear. any other solutions?

What issues are you experiencing with your Wireless Home Phone? Have you tried resetting the device as suggested above? 

Blimy - the difference for me, I think, was the removing the sim card, then unplugging and removing the battery for a couple of minutes, - and then putting thing the sim card back in and reactivating.

OK thanks. I’ll try that 

Quick Story > Was also getting intermittent poor call quality with 1 bar only (WF721 hub).  Moved hub to home basement and signal went red for a second then “boosted” to 3 or 4 bars on its own.  Repeated this a few times with the same result (when upstairs 1 bar, when in basement boosted to 3 bars). Has stayed at 3 bars for over a week so now leaving hub in the basement.  So far no more call quality issues.

Longer Story > Had phoned tech help a couple of times over the last 2 years with call quality complaints.  At the time it was explained as being part of nearby cell tower upgrades (semi-rural, and there was service vehicles in that time period).  Had tried all the reset tricks etc a few times and the signal strength boost was always temporary (minutes to hours) and fell back to 1 bar eventually and resulting poor call quality.  Tried moving to different windows in the house (bungalow) and at best one window it would go to 2 bars over time….and not the best location to set it up.  As an experiment tried holding antenna (like a radio or old TV rabbit ears) to see if it helped but it went red then boosted to 4 bars and then slowly back to one bar.  So, took it to the basement where the “Quick Story” unfolded.

Not sure if all WF721 hubs have this boost feature (no mention in the manual/guide), OR, not sure if previous Tech Help calls resulted in a firmware update (as I think I did give them permission to access the hub during the call) and there was some commentary about boost capability.  One way would be to try shielding your antenna to see if you get “red signal followed by boost” and then decide if you want to experiment with a “shielded location” like a basement that might give you a sustained 3 to 4 bars.