Koodo Community
Solved

What could cause my phone to be bumped repeatedly off my home wifi.

• 20 January 2021
  • 10 replies

What could cause my phone to be bumped repeatedly off my home wifi. I’m mostly at home with it. I only walk or motor around town with it, and the only reason I even keep it with me is just for emergency calls with my wife.  I don’t use it for anything else outside my home. Koodo is telling me I’ve used up 90% of my data and I’m only half way through the month; and I think the reason it’s been using data is because of it being bumped off my wifi. I never had this problem with it until recently.

icon

Best answer by rikkster 20 January 2021, 05:38

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Restart the router and report back.

I don’t believe it’s the router; my wife’s phone isn’t having a problem;  nor are our computers; and when I reset my phone to enable the wifi connection - no problem. I just never had this problem before, and just wasn’t on the alert to be checking my wifi connection everyday. So, I was wondering if there could be a setting on my phone that’s causing a problem. I recently got set up with MIcrosoft TEAMS on my phone & was wondering if there could be something involved with that process that might have had something to do with what’s happening now.

Badge +4

Which phone do you have?

If it’s an Android phone, go to Settings and look for About Phone or Device. If it’s an iPhone, go to Settings > General > About. You’re looking for the make and model.  

There are some settings on your phone that are enabled by default from the factory that allows the phone to connect to mobile data whenever the Wi-Fi signal becomes weak or non-existent. When you’re away from home, your phone no longer has access to Wi-Fi and switches to mobile data (if enabled). This could explain the higher usage pattern.

Thanks, rikkster. What you’re saying sounds right. I don’t have time to follow up on this right now, but I will later.

I appreciate this - having guys like yourself & Robert T - interested to help some of the rest of us who don’t have much of a clue about these things.

I’ll let you know later how I make out with this.

Take care & all the best

philinlabiche

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you sure it's a wifi issue? 

Did you actually see your wifi being bumped off? 

Thanks you guys - all three of you.

No, Dennis, your right; I didn’t see my wifi getting bumped off.

And, getting back to you, Rickster, I didn’t find anything that helped identify a problem.

Ever since I got my current phone ‘til recently, it seemed to always automatically reconnect to my wifi when I would get back to my house, and now it doesn’t. All I can see for it is that I need to check each time I return home, & manually reconnect if my phone didn’t automatically do so. It’s not much trouble to do that, just a new habit I need to get used to.

So, thanks again you guys,

philinlabiche

And, sorry for clicking on my own comments as “best answer”. I meant that for Rickster,

philinlabiche

Badge +4

Thank you @philinlabiche and no problem. 

The make/model of your phone would have been helpful as there are some settings that may not appear in the most logical of places. Resetting your phones’ network settings sometimes clears up network connectivity issues, including Wi-Fi.

This setting is usually found in the Backup & Reset section on most Android phones. On iPhone, go to; Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings and follow the onscreen prompts.

Note this does not erase anything stored on your phone. This procedure restores network settings (cellular, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) to their default values, similar to when you first purchased your phone.

This procedure does erase the saved Wi-Fi SSID (the name of the Wi-Fi access point) which is easy to find using your phone to scan for your wireless router. You will have to re-enter the Wi-Fi password. The network reset automatically re-enables mobile data (turn off, if not using data).

This could resolve the issue of your phone not connecting to Wi-Fi when returning home. Try it out when you get the chance and keep us posted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks you guys - all three of you.

No, Dennis, your right; I didn’t see my wifi getting bumped off.

And, getting back to you, Rickster, I didn’t find anything that helped identify a problem.

Ever since I got my current phone ‘til recently, it seemed to always automatically reconnect to my wifi when I would get back to my house, and now it doesn’t. All I can see for it is that I need to check each time I return home, & manually reconnect if my phone didn’t automatically do so. It’s not much trouble to do that, just a new habit I need to get used to.

So, thanks again you guys,

philinlabiche

When you reconnect to wifi when you return home, was your wifi turned on or did you manually need to turn it own first?

Thanks again, Rickster. I have a Google Pixel 3 phone. I’ve been watching my phone closely since we last talked, & the problem hasn’t occurred again yet, even when I’ve been out with it, although I did turn it off altogether a couple of times, as I only needed it with me to call my wife if I needed to. I’ve now cancelled a couple of permissions in settings for things I don’t use, but haven’t noticed anything amiss in settings.