Koodo Community

Switching Sim Card to Older Phone

• 17 December 2021
  • 4 replies

I have an Active Monthly Unlimited Call & Text Plan 10G Data with Koodo Monthly Paid No Tab that's on my Koodo Samsung A8 2018 Phone (no tab) that has a Koodo Nano SIM card inserted but this phone has been stuck in loop logo mode the last 2 weeks due to "Storage Being Pretty Much Full" so it won't boot up past that loop mode nor can it do a factory reset (which I'd hoped to avoid if possible). I had inserted an SD card into the Samsung phone & had deleted a fair bit plus Cache but it shut down into loop mode--phone charges up to 100% . I need to be able to make phone calls & texts so can I temporarily Switch that Nano Sim Card into my older Moto X Play Koodo phone (No tab) that fits a Nano SIM Card? If So, How do I do that so my Moto Phone Recognizes that Nano SIM Card & what are all the settings I need to do? I Don't have a Computer Nor any USB Cords  so I'm hoping it can be Flashed if I take it into a Koodo Telus Store or Cellular Repair Place which I'd read Online and on YouTube videos can be done usually without losing the Stored Files? Thank You, Cassie 

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have an Active Monthly Unlimited Call & Text Plan 10G Data with Koodo Monthly Paid No Tab that's on my Koodo Samsung A8 2018 Phone (no tab) that has a Koodo Nano SIM card inserted but this phone has been stuck in loop logo mode the last 2 weeks due to "Storage Being Pretty Much Full" so it won't boot up past that loop mode nor can it do a factory reset (which I'd hoped to avoid if possible). I had inserted an SD card into the Samsung phone & had deleted a fair bit plus Cache but it shut down into loop mode--phone charges up to 100% . I need to be able to make phone calls & texts so can I temporarily Switch that Nano Sim Card into my older Moto X Play Koodo phone (No tab) that fits a Nano SIM Card? If So, How do I do that so my Moto Phone Recognizes that Nano SIM Card & what are all the settings I need to do? I Don't have a Computer Nor any USB Cords  so I'm hoping it can be Flashed if I take it into a Koodo Telus Store or Cellular Repair Place which I'd read Online and on YouTube videos can be done usually without losing the Stored Files? Thank You, Cassie 

Yes, you can insert your SIM card to your old phone. 

Badge +4

Your Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) and Moto X Play both use a nano-SIM card (as you’ve indicated). With both phones powered off, remove the nano-SIM card from your Galaxy A8 and carefully insert it into your Moto X Play. Power the Moto X Play back on and wait for it to boot up. Once booted, it should automatically detect the nano-SIM card.

As for settings, that would depend on how you last left your Moto X Play. If you didn’t factory reset or erase the phone, all of your contacts, apps, accounts and settings should be intact. If you did factory reset the phone, you will have to go through the setup process which can be done from your phone over a  Wi-Fi connection. If you’re trying to conserve data, make sure mobile data is turned off.

Thank you for both replies. My Nano Sim card fits in Moto X play snugly so I think it has adapter in slot already. Is there some other reason I'd need to purchase the adapter you suggested? I'm not tech savy. Thanks

Badge +4

Thank you for both replies. My Nano Sim card fits in Moto X play snugly so I think it has adapter in slot already. Is there some other reason I'd need to purchase the adapter you suggested? I'm not tech savy. Thanks

You are correct. The SIM card tray that the nano-SIM card fits into slides into the SIM card slot.

The boot-loop problem... if you haven’t tried this, there is an option to boot your A8 into Safe Mode. This diagnostic mode disables third-party software which should allow the A8 to get past the boot-loop. 

A video better describes how to get into Safe mode. The first example is probably the one you’ll want to try.

Three Ways to Turn On Safe mode

Once the phone is in Safe mode, go to Settings - scroll to and tap General Management. Tap Reset. Then tap Reset settings. This does not erase any user data and returns the device’s settings to factory default values.

It’s also possible to delete apps that are greyed out by long-pressing on the app icon and selecting uninstall. Apps that are not greyed out are system apps that cannot be deleted, but you may be able to disable some of them. Going into Settings > Apps - tap on an app you’ve installed, then tap Storage. Tap Clear Data, Clear Cache or Uninstall.

To exit Safe mode, press and hold the Power button, then tap Restart. Or, swipe down from the top of your screen and turn off Safe mode. If enough storage is freed, your A8 should boot normally.