Koodo Community
Solved

Pixel 6 rainbow effect on screen

• 12 November 2021
  • 10 replies

I just received my Pixel 6 and I’ve noticed on white backgrounds it does this rainbow-y thing. Like an oil slick, green and pink bands. It’s not hugely noticeable but if I’m scrolling on a white background I can see the slight change in colour as the screen moves. It’s more noticeable at an angle. I’ve mitigated this by using dark mode on everything I can but it is kind of annoying. 

Anyone else having this issue? Is is a feature or a bug? Do I return the phone or will all of them have this issue?

icon

Best answer by srlawren 16 November 2021, 00:55

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I assumed you didn’t put any screen protector on your screen. Have you tried to swipe screen with a microfibre cloth to make sure if that wasn’t something else. Maybe you could try some reading glass cleaner and see if it helps.

Normally a phone screen has a super-thin layer of Oleophobic Coating, If you accidentally used alcohol on it (which is prevalent in hand sanitizer these days), that layer might mess up and create smudge and issue similar like that. I would just put a screen protector on and change screen protector every few months.

Noticed it straight out of the box. No screen protector, no cleaning. It's fine on dark mode and only mildly annoying on white backgrounds like this text box. So I can live with it if it's just a reality of the material its made from.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Doesn't sound right to me. Did you order the phone from koodo?

If you ordered in-store you have 15 days to return it and 30 days if you ordered online 

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/warranty-and-repair-policy

I’ve been doing some googling and it looks like a lot of other people are having the same problem to varying degrees, so I don’t want to exchange the phone and risk getting one worse off than this one.  And I’m not at the point where I just want to return it. I’ve got 30 days since I ordered it online so I’ll keep it for at least a week or so and see if it bothers me a lot. 

Userlevel 5

If you’re used to LCD / IPS type screens, it may be “normal” for AMOLED screens if you are not used to it… Hard to say exactly, but I defintiely notice “something” different about them…

yeah my LG X Power 3 had a IPS LCD screen. I had a pair of glasses one time with an anti-reflective coating on them that had the same kind of green/pink rainbow effect when tilted - didn’t effect the lenses or anything but it’s what this keeps reminding me of. 

Userlevel 5

yeah my LG X Power 3 had a IPS LCD screen. I had a pair of glasses one time with an anti-reflective coating on them that had the same kind of green/pink rainbow effect when tilted - didn’t effect the lenses or anything but it’s what this keeps reminding me of. 

You can definitely reproduce a very funky rainbow effect with any LCD screen using a circular polarizer camera lens filter. If your sunglasses were “polarized” - this may be what you were experiencing….

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@dyingatmidnight you might want to try forcing your display refresh rate to 60Hz to see if that changes anything.  I know some reviewers mentioned some artifacts when the phone switches between the two.  In normal (auto) setting, when the phone is idle with the screen on, it will refresh at 60Hz to save battery, but then when you touch it/start scrolling, it will kick up to 90 for smoother experience, and then back down to 60 again after.  

To lock to 60Hz, go to Settings, Display, scroll down and turn off Smooth Display

Thanks for the suggestion but I already have that turned off and still having issues. It's only noticeable with white backgrounds and hasn't bothered me too much so I guess Ill just stick to dark mode

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@dyingatmidnight now that I have the device finally in hand, and after reading some of the comments in this Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/r7zqti/does_your_pixel_6_display_have_that_rainbow/, I can reproduce the issue if I open up an app not in dark mode and move the phone around with my hand.  Honestly, I do 99% of stuff in dark mode, and don’t normally pivot the phone around much while using it, so I don’t think this is an issue that bothers me (definitely not a deal-breaker).