Koodo Community
Solved

Not connecting in Oak Bay BC - Emergency Calls only

• 6 January 2022
  • 7 replies

My phone will not connect to the Koodo network.  It says Emergency Calls Only.  Cannot get my phone off of ECO - not picking up any tower signals.

icon

Best answer by rikkster 7 January 2022, 00:27

View original

7 replies

Badge +4

My phone will not connect to the Koodo network.  It says Emergency Calls Only.  Cannot get my phone off of ECO - not picking up any tower signals.

The outage doesn’t appear to be showing up on the TELUS outage map, though the site istheservicedowncanada.com mentions of an outage in Oak Bay area. 

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/outages

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus/6091919-oak-bay-british-columbia-canada

I’m in the Royal Jubilee and a worker mentioned that a patient on another floor was having the same problem.  So maybe it’s not just me.

Getting ANY help from Koodo is a JOKE.  All they are offering is a call back to a phone that will not send or receive calls.  Thank God I have a MagicJack app on my phone so I can at least make some calls.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can request a callback to ANY Canadian number. It doesn't have to be to your koodo phone. You can also contact them via Twitter DM or Facebook Messenger. (Sending multiple messages before you've heard back will bump your message to the end of the queue though.)

TY - I’m stuck in a hospital room right now so other phone numbers are challenging.

None of the staff are willing to let me use their personal phones.

I tried to use my home number but it’s not coming through the Magic Jack system as it’s got an extra layer of protecting where you have enter the random number to complete the call.  Computers (bots) won’t do this so the old home number won’t work.

Sucks.

Badge +4

TY - I’m stuck in a hospital room right now so other phone numbers are challenging.

None of the staff are willing to let me use their personal phones.

I tried to use my home number but it’s not coming through the Magic Jack system as it’s got an extra layer of protecting where you have enter the random number to complete the call.  Computers (bots) won’t do this so the old home number won’t work.

Sucks.

If you have access to Wi-Fi, download the Fongo Mobile app. The app works over Wi-Fi (or mobile data) and gives you a free local Canadian phone number. It’s available for Android and iOS devices. This will allow you to make/receive calls and you can use the phone number when scheduling a callback.

Fongo Mobile app

​​​​​Well, I never did get a call back from Koodo.  Their customer service continues to suck and go downhill.

As it turns out… as I expected… it was something I did that pooched it on my end.  I was trying to make my phone into a ‘hotspot’ and in doing so… screwed things right up.  So, one touch an a button at the right screen and BOOM! - phone is back to life and VM start pouring in.