Koodo Community

New phone updating out of the box

• 7 January 2022
  • 5 replies

just received an iphone XR (it IS refurbished) and immediately the phone is trying to download and do an update. is this normal? i would have assumed the phone came already updated?

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you! Are 3-4 hours to update normal?😂 it’s actually my son’s phone and his old iPhone is unable to be used because it’s trying to transfer data to the new phone that is updating. He’s scared to stop anything in case it starts all over again

@ja9nielsenpei sorry I cannot help with this question as I have owned zero iPhones, but hopefully it completed some time ago now.

Badge +4

There’s usually an option to install the update (15.2) at a later time. It’s possible the update could take a bit longer depending on which iOS version the iPhone XR is currently on (Settings > General > Software Update). Your son should be able to continue transferring data from the old iPhone to the XR and install the update afterwards.

Thank you! Are 3-4 hours to update normal?😂 it’s actually my son’s phone and his old iPhone is unable to be used because it’s trying to transfer data to the new phone that is updating. He’s scared to stop anything in case it starts all over again

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Normal.  Even if it was updated when first received back at Koodo (or their partner) location and tested, it could have been in inventory for an unknown amount of time and missed updates.  Take comfort that Apple has the best OS update support for older devices in the industry and be happy that you’re getting updates. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No even brand new phones often come with updates out of the box.

If an update gets pushed between when Apple packages the phone and when you receive it then the phone will want to update when it's turned on next (when you get it).

Last iOS update was on Dec 13th so I wouldn't be surprised if it had one out of the box, no.