Koodo Community
Question

Improving Signal?

• 13 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I have recently started a new job and have come to a sad realization that my work’s break room is in a complete dead spot for Telus network signal. There is no WiFi there either. I get the “emergency calls only” status on my phone. Every co-worker I have spoken to has switched to the Rogers network because that is the only network that gets service in my break room, apparently. I looked on a map and it seems there is a Rogers transceiver right on top of my place of work. 

My question is - is there ANYTHING I can do in this situation to get service, other than switching to Rogers/Fido? I have been with Koodo for about five years and love my service with them. I have a great plan and I really don’t want to switch. But I work long shifts and not having any cell service in my break room is awful. I’ve tried switching to 3G and no luck. Does anyone have any other ideas? :( 

Thanks

4 replies

Badge +4

The Fongo Mobile app might be worth looking into. The app gives you a free local Canadian phone number and is available for Android or iOS devices. The app works over mobile data (or Wi-Fi). Fongo Mobile also offers add-ons available for purchase (e.g. unlimited Canadian text messaging (SMS).  

Fongo Mobile app

If Fongo Mobile is not an option, then you may have to switch providers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Some phones have stronger signal capability than others, but tough call. The part of my workplace where I work has no reception for anyone unless you lean your phone against a window. You could try that to see if you can get signal. Either you camp out by the window or hotspot it and bring a tablet if that’s something you have. Otherwise, it seems that you’d be out of luck while you’re in the break room.

The Fongo Mobile app might be worth looking into. The app gives you a free local Canadian phone number and is available for Android or iOS devices. The app works over mobile data (or Wi-Fi). Fongo Mobile also offers add-ons available for purchase (e.g. unlimited Canadian text messaging (SMS).  

Fongo Mobile app

If Fongo Mobile is not an option, then you may have to switch providers.

Thanks. Unfortunately I have no access to data or wi-fi while in the area I’m talking about.

Some phones have stronger signal capability than others, but tough call. The part of my workplace where I work has no reception for anyone unless you lean your phone against a window. You could try that to see if you can get signal. Either you camp out by the window or hotspot it and bring a tablet if that’s something you have. Otherwise, it seems that you’d be out of luck while you’re in the break room.

Thanks! Yeah I don’t think there are any spots in the room. Unfortunately no windows. I may have to consider switching then. Too bad! Appreciate the help.