Koodo Community
Question

Easy Roam

I am currently visiting in the United States. I have gotten easy roam $11 charges twice while I was at home on Wifi. I have my data, mobile data, automatic updates & automatic app updates all turned off. I have not answered or made any phone calls or sent any texts.  I should not be getting these charges.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am currently visiting in the United States. I have gotten easy roam $11 charges twice while I was at home on Wifi. I have my data, mobile data, automatic updates & automatic app updates all turned off. I have not answered or made any phone calls or sent any texts.  I should not be getting these charges.

What does it say on the bill? Are you seeing any data charges on your bill, which may have triggered the Easy Roam feature to be activated? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you turn off the “data roaming” in the phone? it might help in some cases(even if you turn off mobile data). Also, check the bill and see what happened as the poster above mentioned, It might help to pinpoint what happened. If the cellular data was tiny (under 0.01MB), they might give you the credit back.

My data roaming is off and my account shows 0 data used during the period in question. It shows no outgoing texts and no phone calls.I cannot find any reason to justify triggering the easy roam charges.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

From another post :

Data & Roaming settings are confirmed off. there should be no roaming charges.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Star10 - When did you arrive in the US? I see minimal data usage on April 6th. Could that have been the day you got there and turned off data?

As for the second charge, I see that you responded to a 9 minute phone call on April 13th. Does that match up with your call logs?

I arrived in the US on April 6th. However, the night  before I left Canada I had turned off everything I mentioned in my previous statements on my phone. As to that ridiculous phone call charge, you can see that the roaming charge  did not occur until 23.47hrs & the call was at 19.47hrs. The call shows that my cell called itself, & spoke for 9 minutes at a time when I was at home having supper. I did not use my phone, neither did it ring at that time. Why would my phone call itself for 9 minutes. As I said, this is ridiculous!

Also, to add to my previous message, there is no charge attached to my phone’s “call to itself” at 19.47hrs. The roaming charge doesn’t kick in until 23.47, when the phone was at home on WiFi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Star10  - It only shows your number because inbound call display is limited when outside the country. Your call log should show the number you spoke with though. 

As for the the time difference, the Easy Roam trigger is actually in UTC time where the call itself is local

Hello Chris,

My call log shows the number that was spoken to alright, & that number was my own number, which is why I say it is ridiculous. Both the incoming & outgoing numbers are my cell number! I have checked my Koodo logs & bill for the current cycle, & they show 0 data usage, 0 outgoing texts, a roaming charge of 0.0020 on April 6th when, as I repeatedly say, all sources of potential roaming were turned off & I was on WiFi, & the two incidents on April 13th. Those show the ridiculous call coming first on the 13th which has no charge associated with it, & then 4 hours later on the same day, a roaming charge which does not even show up in my data usage, but apparently triggered the $11 roaming fee. 

I understand UTC time. We used a 24-hr time clock in my workplace. There is still a 4-hr time space between the phone call that never happened & shows no charge in my logs, & the roaming that triggered the roaming charge.

Does anyone know if Koodo has a Complaints Department? If so, is there a toll free number to call there. I don’t want to speak to an agent who will just give me the run-around about Easy Roam I would like to register a formal complaint about the issues with unjustified Easy Roam charges.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does anyone know if Koodo has a Complaints Department? If so, is there a toll free number to call there. I don’t want to speak to an agent who will just give me the run-around about Easy Roam I would like to register a formal complaint about the issues with unjustified Easy Roam charges.

Did you ask the Koodo rep to escalate the call to a supervisor when you scheduled a callback?