Koodo Community
Question

Certified Pre-owned iPhone Heating Issue

• 7 September 2022
  • 7 replies

I bought a certified pre-owned iPhone Xs last week and it’s been working fine but is heating up after only about ten minutes of use. The battery health is at 82% which as I understand is fine for a used phone. I also did all of the suggested troubleshooting for an overheating phone such as closing and deleting apps. Is this a standard issue with phones of this age? Should I bother contacting Koodo about it? I expected there to be some issues with a used phone but I haven’t even had this phone for a week.

Any insight would be helpful!

Thank you!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It was apples second gen OLED phone so the screen might well be power hungry. I used it for a time but I cannot recall if running hot was normal for it. I'd have to look over some reviews to see if it was mentioned. How hot is it?

It’s getting hot enough that I put it down after about 10-15 minutes and the battery seems to be draining really quickly. It is a second-gen oled.

Badge +4

In what condition did you purchase your iPhone Xs? (Like-new, Great or Very Good)

I haven’t experienced any problems with overheating or excessive battery drain in the 16 months of owning my iPhone Xs. I sold my Xs shortly thereafter with 100% battery health.

IMO, 82% battery health is not what I would consider to be fine for a used iPhone, particularly when the phone is overheating. At 79% you will start seeing error messages pertaining to battery degradation and a suggestion to replace the battery. Your iPhone will still work, but there will be a decrease in performance as described in the link below.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208387 See headings: Your battery’s maximum capacity & Battery health degraded

Since you’re within the 30-day return period you may want to look at exchanging your iPhone Xs. You can start the return process by contacting Koodo by email at koodo.webstore@koodomobile.com Or, if you prefer, you can schedule a call back through Koodo Assist.

In the case that you had an amazing deal with the phone and do not want to return it,  the CPO phones have 1 year of warranty from koodo - https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/certified-pre-owned-phones

Thank you for your responses! I ended up sending my phone for repairs (because the phone I got was no longer in stock and the only option for exchange was one with less storage space). It still seems to be heating up but not as badly. I was hoping they’d replace the battery but the battery life is still at 82% so it’s clear that they didn’t. Does anyone know if battery replacement is something that koodo might do if this problem comes up again?

Thank you for your input!

some apples do this. I heard of an Iphone 11 do this but haven’t seen it in person. Try a software update but that may not help. best thing to do would be to get an exchange for another one asap before they are gone. But do have a backup phone in the mean time.

If you do send it in to repairs find a Corporate Telus Store or Corporate Koodo Kiosk that has a loaner phone for you to use in the mean time until you get yours back. it might be a cheap phone but at least it works ok. unless you have a back up phone while you wait.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you for your responses! I ended up sending my phone for repairs (because the phone I got was no longer in stock and the only option for exchange was one with less storage space). It still seems to be heating up but not as badly. I was hoping they’d replace the battery but the battery life is still at 82% so it’s clear that they didn’t. Does anyone know if battery replacement is something that koodo might do if this problem comes up again?

Thank you for your input!

If it is within the one-year warranty period, you may be able to bring it back to your nearest Telus location to get the phone repaired. Anything beyond that and you will need to get it replaced at your own expense. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/warranty-and-repair-policy