Koodo Community
Solved

Broke camera and screen 10 days after purchase

• 8 October 2021
  • 12 replies

Had this s20 fe for 10 days. Slipped from my hand, dropped about a foot. Both the camera and the screen cracked. iPhones are better quality than this. Do I have any options?

icon

Best answer by rikkster 8 October 2021, 00:33

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

See if your Credit Card has some extended warranty covering that. If not, I’m pretty sorry to tell you that you don’t have any other option but to repair it. 

Can the camera be repaired? 

I just found that Samsung is being sued over this. I don’t want these phones (both my husband and I got the same phone, mine hasn’t broken yet), this is awful. 

https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-s20-camera-glass-lawsuit/

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Everything can be repaired for a cost

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I just found that Samsung is being sued over this. I don’t want these phones (both my husband and I got the same phone, mine hasn’t broken yet), this is awful. 

https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-s20-camera-glass-lawsuit/

US Lawsuit. You gotta hope there’s a Canadian one as well if not you’re left hanging unfortunately. Plus, in your case you dropped the phone. Maybe they’ll replace the camera for free, but not the screen. Give them a call & see with them 

Badge +4

Here’s Samsung’s Canadian out-of-warranty repair site.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/Out-of-Warranty-Pricing/

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oops, didn’t see that I used the US website. Corrected the link in my post as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Only the camera glass is defective according to that lawsuit. As for quality… it's all the same Corning Gorilla glass. Iphones can and do just as easily shatter from a foot high drop. Unfortunately it seems you got unlucky with the drop. I do not expect Samsung or Koodo to be willing to pay for that. The glass though I would expect Samsung to have a free repair, but Samsung is refusing desoite being sued as you can see. I don't tgink Koodo would accept a phone that has a part broken from a fall that's not due to a known issue, such as the camera glass.

Userlevel 2

I won’t even take out a new phone without having a case first.  With a case most of the time phone should survive a drop of a few feet unless you are very unlucky.

If you want to live dangerously, better never drop your phone or have an insurance plan.

Not that it necessarily apply in the case, but I always think it is stupid that back of most “high end” phone are now made out of glass!   While it is good for the RF, and good for the manufacture (hey, more revenue from prematurely replacement phone sales), it provides no functional advantages to the consumer.  Needing a case kind of negate any style points a glass back phone may have.  It also make the phone heavier.

Badge +4

A tempered glass screen protector plus a case with raised edges around the screen area will protect your phone a little better in the event it falls flat on it’s face or lands on a corner. Cases provide better grip on some of the more slippery phones out there. For cases, Spigen Tough Armour, Urban Armour Gear (UAG) and Otterbox are a few cases I’ve used. For tempered glass screen protectors, Zagg, LK and JETech work well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

As @Robert T mentioned, repair is probably the only option, and maybe your credit card insurance will cover it. For example, BMO world elite mastercards have: “Purchase Protection - items bought with your card are automatically insured against theft or damage for 90 days from date of purchase.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can the camera be repaired? 

I’m not sure where you live, but I would definitely have it sent to your local repair shop and see what could be done. Going through Samsung to repair your phone will mean higher costs for the parts and labour, so I suggest you to have it assessed before making your decision.