Koodo Community
Question

Anyone else get Garbled distorted voicemails?

• 21 November 2022
  • 12 replies

The voicemail automated operator is garbled and so are the messages. I generally save and replay 2 to 3 times, the garble/distortion clears up and the message can be played without interference. These are Not spam messages. It's very frustrating I just can't hear it the first time around. I haven't any trouble/interference with reception or dropped calls, just the voicemails sounding robotic or garbled.  Koodo rep hadn't heard of the issue. 

Anyone else having same issue? Solutions?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I just did a test. My voicemail is working fine normally. 

When this issue happened, how was your signal? Did you have good signal coverage at that time?

You could also test by calling yourself and leave a voicemail and see if the issue was from signal reception or voicemail system itself.

Thanks Dinh.

This has been happening for a couple years, to 8 out of 10 voicemails! After a couple attempts to listen to the message it works itself out and plays normally?  Robotic-choppy also describes it. 

My signal strength is often just two bars but I have no issues with phone calls. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks Dinh.

This has been happening for a couple years, to 8 out of 10 voicemails! After a couple attempts to listen to the message it works itself out and plays normally?  Robotic-choppy also describes it. 

My signal strength is often just two bars but I have no issues with phone calls. 

2 bar of signal wasn’t the best. I suggest you test when you had strong signal. Also, which phone are you using? you could also try to reset network settings of the phone and see if it can help.

Why are you suggesting I do a test from my end? These voicemails are being left by other people from different phone numbers. If I don't have a signal issue when I make a phone call why would I have a signal issue when I call my voicemail every time?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If these messages were being garbled as they were being recorded then it wouldn't matter how many times you listened to them, they would still be garbled. This suggests that it is in some way connected to the process of you calling in to listen to them, and not to the recording of the message itself.

A network reset has been suggested but that deletes all of my saved Wi-Fi pswds etc.. any other suggestions? 

I don't have other issues with data or signal strength but for some reason the voicemail is almost always an issue at first when I call in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

A network reset has been suggested but that deletes all of my saved Wi-Fi pswds etc.. any other suggestions? 

I don't have other issues with data or signal strength but for some reason the voicemail is almost always an issue at first when I call in.

Network reset is typical suggestion to make sure your network settings was in the proper settings.

If you don't want to do anything on your side, you can visit a Koodo kiosk or schedule a callback from a rep so someone could check for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Try dialling *#61# from your phone’s dial pad. This will display the voicemail (vm) access number that accesses the voicemail service. In the link below, verify the vm access number displayed on your phone matches your area code and vm access number in the list.

If all checks out, then a network reset is the next step. If you have an iPhone, there is a way to keep WI-Fi and other saved passwords intact.

If the voicemail access number does not match your area code, there is a way to program this number into your phone. Or you can schedule a callback using Koodo Assist and have a rep look into this.

Dinh, your reply "If you don't want to do anything on your side" ...?  Harsh man!  I just requested more suggestions (other than yours!).

rikkster  

*#61# I tried it. I got this msg??

"Call forwarding service has been disabled" 

Idea?

If my wifi is laggy could there be a connection to the voiemail issue? I know I don't need data or wifi on for voicemail just wondering if the system tries to use it while playing voicemails? TIA

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Try dialling *61*226-580-4001*11*10#  no spaces between symbols and numbers (you may have to tap call or send to complete the process). The voicemail access number in bold should be for the 519 area code.

When finished entering this code, dial *#61# to confirm that the voicemail access number is programmed into your phone.

The last set of digits in this code in bold *61*226-580-4001*11*10#  control the number of seconds until voicemail picks up. You can alter this number however you like by following the guide below.

10 seconds = 3 - 4 rings to voicemail
20 seconds = 4 - 5 rings to voicemail
30 seconds = 5 - 6 rings to voicemail