Koodo Community

Community

Wipe any outstanding tab balance clean after 3 years

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
People love the term tab and hate the word contract, but there's no difference. For those on your most expensive plan ($75/month), their balance will be clean after 20 months. For those like me ($56/month), the balance will be zero after 27 months. On a $50 plan, it'll take 30 months. Every other plan will take longer than 3 years to pay off (and it's not like we're getting any major subsidies here). $39 = 39 months $35 = 43 months $25 = 60 months $20 (no longer offered, but it was at one point) = 75 months My wife's tab will be clean 60 months (5 YEARS) after the date she signed up (we were aware of this, so this is not a surprise). I can see why Koodo prefers the term tab to "3-year contract". Half of the offered plans will take longer than 3 years to pay off. My solution is simple. Do what WIND does. Wipe the tab balance clean after three years, if not paid off sooner.

18 replies

Userlevel 3
Yes Please
Userlevel 1
I believe that there are other carriers that do this as well as Wind, so it isn't a far fetched idea.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ThunderBoldt wrote:

I believe that there are other carriers that do this as well as Wind, so it isn't a far fetched i...

I just saw that Fido does this, and after 2 years.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm a bit confused by this idea, I always considered that the whole thought behind the Tab was to allow people to pay off their phone in monthly terms, based on the plan they have, nothing more... What you are suggesting (imo) can only be done in two ways: 1. "Punish" people with a more expensive plan - their Tab will be paid off well before the 3 years. That way, you "reward" people with cheaper plans - especially the ones that only contribute $2 or so (of the $20 plan), their "loan" is acquitted after 3 years no matter what. That is not going to encourage people to have more expensive plans. 2. "Punish" people with a cheaper plan to force them to pay a larger percentage towards their Tab, and "reward" people with a more expensive plan by allowing them to contribute 10%. That is not going to encourage people with smaller needs to sign up with Koodo. Either way, it doesn't seem like a fair system to me, whereas the current blanket 10% is. Or am I reading your idea the wrong way? (could be, haha, it's still early here and I haven't had my second coffee yet)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

I'm a bit confused by this idea, I always considered that the whole thought behind the Tab was to...

You really think it's fair to require 5 years to pay off a $150 balance when on a $25 plan? Why on earth would someone that can afford only a cheaper plan choose Koodo over Fido? Fido wipes your tab after 2 years. I have a more expensive plan and I wouldn't feel punished by this. I'm still rewarded by paying out my tab before 3 years are up.
Wiping the tab clean after 3 years would be a nice Idea. Although I don't agree with your statement that the tab is no different than a contract. Yes it does take a while to pay off depending on the cost of your plan but you know with Koodo that if you cancel no matter what your never paying more then $150 but If you are in say a 3 year term and wanted to cancel even after a year your still looking at paying out anywhere between $300 to $500. No where does it state that just because you use the tab you have to wait for it to be paid of to upgrade or cancel. Also you are not restricted to changing your plan if you need to on Koodo. On contracts you are usually limited to either the plan you signed up with or a very select few options for changing the plan. SO I think there is a HUGE difference between the tab and a contract.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ness wrote:

Wiping the tab clean after 3 years would be a nice Idea. Although I don't agree with your stateme...

All "contracts" are based on device values (like the tab) these days so I respectfully disagree with you.
Userlevel 7
Ness wrote:

Wiping the tab clean after 3 years would be a nice Idea. Although I don't agree with your stateme...

Finally, someone else recognizes this... the discount given off your device is way higher per month and you could potentially have paid no money down for the phone. Examples are the S II LTE (Fido dealers only unfortunately), the One S, and a hidden gem: RAZR HD LTE. The latter 2 are free on a 2 year (with Mobile Shop, at a dealer store you still pay some money) The stipulation is you have to take a Smart plan to get the full subsidy, starting at $39.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ness wrote:

And a minimum plan requirement is fair for that phone since that phone's value is well above $150.
Userlevel 7
I like this idea. It makes perfect sense because the Tab is advertised as a no cotnract option, but then it can take more than 3 years to have it paid off. Yes it's a smaller amount, but it's still annoying to have some type of subsidy to pay off far beyond the lifespan of your device.
Get more friends to sign up for Koodo and get $25 for your tab. Your tab disappears faster, and Koodo gets more customers. Win-win. The reason you're at Koodo isn't because of the subsidy. It's that their plans are cheaper than anyone else's (typically for lower usage customers?). Take the price difference between what you'd pay at Koodo vs. what you'd pay elsewhere over those 3 years, and you might end up on top even if you paid off the tab yourself after 3 years.
JoshuaWong wrote:

Get more friends to sign up for Koodo and get $25 for your tab. Your tab disappears faster, and ...

Thank you Joshua! I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it the right way! Although even though the tab for SO MANY reasons is better and nothing like a contract, I still like the Idea of clearing it after 3 years.
JoshuaWong wrote:

Get more friends to sign up for Koodo and get $25 for your tab. Your tab disappears faster, and ...

We all want things that benefit us. Wiping clean after 3 years is at minimum, better than not wiping clean after 3 years... unless there's a cost to it. If all plans were 10% more expensive in order for some/most people to take advantage of wiping their tab clean, would the majority of people still want that? Is that the reason why people with Koodo originally left the other companies?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
JoshuaWong wrote:

I'm not with Koodo because they have the best plans, and it's simply untrue that their plans are cheaper than everyone. Virgin and Fido almost always offer identical plans. Wind blows Koodo out of the water in terms of pricing. So, out of the cheaper brands, only one (Virgin) is on par with Koodo regarding plan price and tab pay-off process (though Virgin gives bigger tabs for more expensive plans and I'd argue that that places them slightly above Koodo).
JoshuaWong wrote:

What brings you to Koodo instead of Virgin? I have not yet had a friend who has used Wind without complaining about reception issues.
Userlevel 5
I think this makes perfect sense. The whole point of the TAB was so you do not have to be fixed in a 3 year contract kind of thing. So, even after 3 years - the TAB should be cleared out. I think it's logical.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Lee wrote:

I think this makes perfect sense. The whole point of the TAB was so you do not have to be fixed i...

I completely agree and would love to see this if it doesn't raise prices of plans at all or by much ( a dollar or 2 more is acceptable).
John Lee wrote:

I think this makes perfect sense. The whole point of the TAB was so you do not have to be fixed i...

$2/mth for 36 months is $72, or almost half your tab. You'd need a plan less than $21.67 right now to benefit from clearing your tab in exchange for raising your plan by $2/mth. $2/mth doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up.