Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why am I getting a "Tab" charge ($80.00) when my account says $0.00 Tab.?. just try calling and see how long they keep you on hold

Why am I getting a "Tab" charge ($80.00) when my account says $0.00 Tab.? Another thing... just try calling and see how long they keep you on hold

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi John, did you choose to pay off a tab that you previously had owing recently and have that amount put onto your next bill. This is usually done when you upgrade to a new phone, perhaps you purchased a new phone from Koodo recently?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@John, we are indeed, predominantly, a self-serve brand so the traditional calling customer service is not necessarily to quickest way to get an answer. We have created lots easy to use tools to help find what you are looking for.

This Community is an excellent example of that. Paul, above (another Koodo customer) has actually provided you with the exact reason to your inquiry even though he has no access to your account. 

If you look at your bill online ( the pdf copy) you will see the following:

If you have any questions, you could start here again in the future and that way you save time and avoid waiting on hold. Hope this helps! 

There was NO indication that there was ANY extra charges when we signed up in August 2017 for the phone. This tab charge is a complete surprise. No, we did not choose to pay a tab charge nor did we change our phone. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Cripps wrote:

There was NO indication that there was ANY extra charges when we signed up in August ...

John, would still have your agreement you received at the time of purchasing the phone? In it you would see something like the below:

If you purchased the phone at $0 up front, it doesn't mean it's free. The tab charge is a monthly amount to make paying for the phone easier. A zero interest loan essentially. 

Did the sales person explain this?  
John Cripps wrote:

There was NO indication that there was ANY extra charges when we signed up in August ...

I do not know if you did get my last email... (this may be duplication) No the salesman did not (that as I remember) mention that there would be a single payment of $80.00 or any large one time payment. My understanding there would be a $4.00 per month payment to cover the cost of the phone. So the term "TAB" meant nothing to me. Hope this explains my frustration. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Cripps wrote:

There was a $4/month payment but you chose to pay it off so instead of paying $4/month for the remaining 20 months, you are just paying the $80 all now and will no longer be charged the $4/month.
John Cripps wrote:

This is not true. I did not CHOOSE to pay off. However we will see if my monthly drops by $4.00
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Cripps wrote:

So at no point you asked to pay your tab or elected to do so in self-serve?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Cripps wrote:

@ John, once you pay off the tab there won't be the monthly charge of $4. So yes, your bill will drop by that amount.

John Cripps wrote:

When I checked my self serve acct it shows the same charge I've had all along. It should now be less because I have $0 tab owing. Do I need to contact someone directly to clear this up?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Cripps wrote:

Is it possible that this was the last month you were charged your tab charge so your next bill will be reduced? You can check your ebill to see the tab balance, amount paid, and amount remaining.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Cripps wrote:

Sherry - your January bill included your final tab payment. Your balance is now zero as of this month. Future bills should not include any tab payment, unless you decide to upgrade and get a new phone on tab.