Koodo Community

Community

Solved

want to buy a new phone before returning one just purchased - help!

Hi, turning to the community for help as webstore not in until tuesday.

I recently bought a phone from the koodo webstore, no charge upfront, small tab ($240). I want to return it and buy a different phone that is currently on "sale" - moto z play. I have emailed the webstore about returning my phone as it was only a week ago (so still within the 15 day window). But I want to buy the Z-Play while it is on sale - however when I go to buy it I have to agree to pay off my tab balance on my next bill, and it states this is a one-time charge that cannot be reversed.

So if I pay off my tab balance with my week old phone, will I get that money refunded, or applied back to my tab? Or am I "stuck" with a phone because I have paid it all off?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello GTA Junkie,

I'd say that you open another account and then transfer your number. That way, it will be les complicated and you won't have the chance of "getting stuck" with the phone. 
Robert wrote:

Hello GTA Junkie,

I'd say that you open another account and then transfer your number. That way,...

Thanks. But not ideal for me - I receive a discount on my plan right now that I would lose if I open another account. My other idea, probably not encouraged by koodo, is to get the wife to get the phone and a cheap plan in her name, then pay off the tab on the first bill and then cancel/close out account, then I can just use the z-play (all the while I can wait for my return to hopefully be processed).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello GTA Junkie,

I'd say that you open another account and then transfer your number. That way,...

Remember that you must be a Koodo customer for 90 days before you can pay off your tab.
Robert wrote:

Hello GTA Junkie,

I could refer her, we each get $50, then that $100 would essentially negate the $84 charge for 90 days @ $28 per month on tab small - am I correct? Again, she has to stay for 90 days for us to keep the referral credit and bonus?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello GTA Junkie,

Correct, just some thing to keep in mind.
1) She has to stay with Koodo for 90 days
2) The process takes 4-8 weeks
3) You must refer her before you set up a plan
4) She can't have been with Koodo before
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Hello GTA Junkie,

^^suggested corrections to the above text:
1. Adding a line for your wife@Koodo can be on your account or separate account
2. Keep her line active with Koodo for at least 90 days to keep the refer friend discounts and activation credits, otherwise they get clawed back
3. Allan's pts 2 & 3 are accurate for the refer a friend program
4. She can have been with Koodo before, but must use a different email address if that's the case. If it's Gmail, can use an alias, example user+anything@gmail.com (add the +anything to anything you like).
Userlevel 6
@OP: I actually did this. I took a budget phone on a new activation. Spoke to a supervisor to crush the balance on the line, then bill me for it on the next bill. Then I was left with no tab, and able to grab my Moto Z Play via web store. I highly recommend it as the sale price on the Moto Z Play is amazing!