Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Using Tab Credit for new Phone Offers

When a tab goes into a credit how can a client use this money to participate in any of the deals for using the tab to buy a new phone with Koodo? I was trying to buy the iPhone 5c for 0.00 with a medium tab, my tab had the maximum $150 credit, this has been completed but it seems, I and possibly many other customers, do not understand how to use a tab credit. In listening to the tab explanation online, it does not say that the medium tab has to go to $300, it says up to $300. $5.00 is charged per month until the tab is paid off. In the situation we were having with the $150.00 credit will be taken away and the tab will go into a $300 owing on the tab we would have been paying $450.00 for the same phone but the ad was only $300 with a medium for the Tab. I can go to Virgin, Fido, Bell and Rogers and with a 2 year term, get the phone for free. I can likely get a store credit or other incentives as well, as like you, they offer incentives to new clients. If our credits can not be used as part of the tab to get a new phone, is it an incentive to change suppliers every time the tab gets to zero? I would appreciate clarification on your tab policy as, although I have talked to many people within Koodo and written management the policy that is being verbally indicated to me is absurd. Thank you.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
You're missing the part where Koodo pays 15% of your bill each month towards the tab balance

Lets say your tab balance now was +150$

The phone you want is 300$

You log into self serve and place that phone in your cart.

When you check out Koodo applies the positive tab value to the phone and then the available negative tab so.

+150$ goes to zero and you never pay that back

0 Tab goes to -150$ and Koodo pays that each Month for 24 months. You stay on tab small so no tab charge and you never pay anything out of pocket for that 300$ phone.

Edit: Just to clarify something

In order to participate in that specific offer, you'd need to take tab medium, however your tab balance would still. Be -150$ after you took the device. And you'd need to pay 5$ extra per month for 24 months or untill the tab reaches 0 your 150$ credit would be applied instantly.

Since you'd be paying the 5$ and Koodo would be chipping in 15% of your bill. You'd likely clear that in less than 24 months.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

You're missing the part where Koodo pays 15% of your bill each month towards the tab balance

Let...

Paul is right don't listen to me
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The retail price of the iPhone 5c is $500 and the medium Tab takes $300 off the price of the phone it doesn't make the price of the phone $300. That $300 is now the amount you owe on your tab and will pay it off each month, with koodo contributing 15% of your bill amount each month and you contributing $5 each month to pay off your tab which is basically a no interest loan towards the phone. So $500 minus the tab amount of $300 is $200, minus your positive tab of $150 leaves you paying $50 for the iPhone 5c at the point of purchase.
Thanks Paul and Chad but I don't agree. A medium Tab does not have to be $300.00 according to the explanation online of the tab, it says up to $300. Yes it shows a retail value of $500, however it says if you take a Medium tab you don't pay the $200.00 difference. If I take a $300 tab because I have a credit it should make a $150.00 medium tab. Even now the phone is on for $125.00 with a medium tab. It is therefore saying by being a loyal customer that has accumulated a credit that I should change my phone when the tab reaches zero as I am being disadvantage by keeping my phone or rather than accumulating the credit I should ask at the end of the tab to have the 10% reduced off my charges. Therefore based on a $50.00 monthly costs, I would get $5.00 per month reduction and since we have had a $150 maximum balance since March 2013. I calculate that the $5.00 per month for plan that I have had I would have received $255 in discounts for the 51 months (30 months to reach the max and then another 20 months of no advantage) since it went in to a credit balance. I know this is an extreme case as phones are not made to last anymore but it does show the point, The other option is to move to another company and take advantage of the same offer, plus possible bonuses as a new customer. I would have to stay there for 2 years but what the heck. I can keep the same phone number etc. I think Chad had it the way it should be and how clients believe it is in my opinion. Why pay $450.00 for a phone just because you have been a loyal customer. If this is Koodo's policy it should be changed to allow existing clients to participate in the deals and if you have to, put a 2 year commitment to it, if that is the concern.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deb wrote:

Thanks Paul and Chad but I don't agree. A medium Tab does not have to be $300.00 according to...

Yes it's true you don't have to put the full $300 on the medium Tab you could put $151 on the medium Tab if you wish. I'm not getting where your seeing that you don't have to pay the $200 and basically get the phone for $300 or $0 on the medium Tab, where are you getting this from?
This is an offer that ended with Koodo on January 5th. The current offer is a $300 medium tab with $125 cash. On Jan 5th it was $300 medium tab and 0.00 cash.
We are a family with several accounts and this happened on 1 account and now I have a credit as well that I will have to use and want to know what will happen with my credit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes you can go to Fido and you can get an iPhone 5c with $0. But remember you have to take a plan start with $80 which is $30 more per month for 2 years. And their $80 plan includes 500mb. You should compare what you will get in the end. Koodo is offering an iPhone 5c with $500. But if you use the Tab M, you only pay $125 and put $300 on the tab. Now as Chad and Paul said, you can use your +$150 tab credit toward 5c, so you don't need to pay upfront plus rest of $25 goes to your new tab(means your Tab start from -$275)
Okay that is fine. Basically answers that a credit is useless to use on a Medium or Large tab if the cost of the phone is 0.00. Only works if the cost of the phone is more than the tab. That is sad.
Userlevel 6
here are my experiences working in various wireless multi-brand retailers. We'll use the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 for example. Phone Value is $300. You pay $0 for the phone (if you want to go on a medium tab) in-store, so you have a $300 tab. But if you've saved up a positive tab of $150, your tab would be reduced by that amount, and you would now have a tab of $150. Now one example I have yet to come across since the introduction of Medium and Large tabs is when the in-store cost of the phone is more than $0 (ie right now the Galaxy Core is $49.99). Would the customer have the option in Koodo's activation system of putting some of their positive tab towards that cost? Or would the positive tab only go against their $150 tab and they'd still have to pay $49.99?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I see the Galaxy Core As $200, so $150 on the tab and you pay $50. Say if I have $100 positive tab: I'll pay $0 upfront and my tab would start from $100 That's what happened when i upgraded my phone.
Userlevel 6
yes that's right Mayumi, I forgot that the Core was $200. We had been offering at $0 due to a $50 activation credit before our Boxing Week specials ended.
Mayumi that sounds correct. You got $200 for your $200, but what about the case with the IPhone 5S (retail price $675 but the cost with the tab only adds up to $575) that are currently being cleared out at a reduced price at most providers since they aren't the latest?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Retail price of 5S is $675 There is a promo if you use the Tab M -"Save an extra $100 on Tab M" So You pay $275 + tax upfront and put $300 on the tab. But Deb, you have a $150 tab credit. That means you only pay $125 +tax upfront. You will need to add $5/mo for tab charge. Add: I just checked Fido website and they are offering 5S with $155 upfront plus max plan(start from $80). Yes, Koodo charge you $120 more for upfront price, but you can keep your $50 plan. Yes, you need to pay $5/mo tab charge, but you can still save $25/mo.
Okay so I still only pay $575 for the phone the offered price. It is only a problem when there is more cash in the tab than is wanted over and above the tab then. If I am understanding this properly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm not sure I understand you correctly...Sorry English is not my first language. But when you put $ amount on the tab(it's like an interest free loan), Koodo is contributing 15% of your monthly bill [ $50 your plan x 15%= $7.5/mo ] to pay off your tab. And you need to pay $5/mo tab charge for 24 mo = $120 So you will pay $275 + $120 = $395 for your phone and Koodo basically cover $180 for you because you are using their service. Am I missing your point?
You are missing my point but it isn't a big deal. I wasn't dealing with the $5.00 or 15% on the tab, just plain tab and cash. It is the discounted price that a person pays, not the full retail price. My point was that the tab credit works fine when cash is required to pay for the phone, over and above the new tab. It is less beneficial if there is no additional cash required to pay for the phone. I will just take note of that when I get my next phone. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deb wrote:

You are missing my point but it isn't a big deal. I wasn't dealing with the $5.00 or 15% on the ...

I hope you can find the best deal on your next phone 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This tab business is so clear that the best minds in the business and on this forum can't figure it out after 13 posts above, let alone me, the lowly consumer. This should send a message to Koodo. I'm pretty sure I have my own understanding of what's going on, but not sure I could explain it in less than 10 paragraphs. One thing for sure: the full retail price of the phone has to be paid by the subscriber, but may be discounted by a Koodo partial contribution proportional to the monthly bill.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Deb, I totally get what you are saying The key thing is that Koodo has a Tab M promo on the iphone 5c Normally: Retail $500 So Tab S it will be $150 on tab and you pay $350 [b]Promo On Tab M it will be $300 on Tab and you pay $75 Hence a $125 saving. Here is my work around solution (this can only be done at a Koodo Kiosk): 1) Tell them you want to use the Tab M 2) This means You first use $150 of your Positive Tab 3) Then tell them you want to use a negative Tab of -$151 This means you are technically on Tab M, which should qualify you to pay $75 for the phone since you put a total of $301 work of Tab room onto the phone. Because this is not a normal situation and it is a technical work around, you may need to find an employee who can think out of the box and is willing to try to attempt this. By default they may try to use your +$150 tab credit plus put $300 on tab for a total of $$450 on Tab and then charge you $50 for the remaining (they may try to explain that this is less that the $75 you have to pay and it is a good deal); dont let them do this!