Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Text messages to/from the U.S.

I am having the $40 lightweight canada-wide plan right now. I am wondering if I send/receive text messages to/from the U.S., will I be charged for it? Thank you.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Hi Donna! No charge for international texts as long as [i]your device is in Canada and not roaming (like border cities). As long as you are in Canada yourself, you can text away all you want 🙂
Userlevel 7
Hi Donna, Every plan that Koodo offers includes international text messaging. So if you want to text someone from the United States you are able to so long as you are in Canada when doing so. Hope that helps answer your question 🙂
Daniel Gunn wrote:

Hi Donna, Every plan that Koodo offers includes international text messaging. So if you want ...

What about receiving texts from the U.S.A. ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniel Gunn wrote:

Hi Donna, Every plan that Koodo offers includes international text messaging. So if you want ...

As long as you are in Canada, you can receive texts from the USA without charge.
Daniel Gunn wrote:

wow! I NEVER KNEW THAT!!
Daniel Gunn wrote:

That's funny, recently I received a text from Koodo USA while driving near the border [in Canada , thank you ] telling me I was roaming -which I was not- and then I got dinged for $5 bucks on my bill, apparently because I live near the Us Canada border..
Daniel Gunn wrote:

Would my friend in US be chg'd if she texts me back?? (I live in Canada)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniel Gunn wrote:

@ brian
How long ago was it that you got charged $5 while you are near the US?
Because receiving texts doesn't cost you even if you are in the US now. 

I go to Niagara falls a lot and I receive a message saying "Welcome to USA" time to time and I have been charged for texting in the past.  But I called Koodo and told them I stayed in Canada side then they waved the charge. 
They also gave me a tip - if I get "Welcome to USA"message, go to setting and set my network manually. I don't have any issues since then.

You should call Koodo if you got charged for roaming if you weren't.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniel Gunn wrote:

@ Lorma
It's same as your Grandson, It's all depends on what kind of plan she has with her service provider.
Daniel Gunn wrote:

I live near Niagara Falls, in Ft Erie ON, and have spoken to Koodo about the charge, which they said will be credited to account next invoice.. but the irritating action is the fact that I would even be charged for nothing; I didn't ask for texts or send anything, only the 'Welcome to USA' thing you mentioned, and for the priveledge I was charged 5 bucks.. I found that very concerning in itself. Many years ago I owned a phone from Clearnet, one of telus's partner firms, and the roaming issue came up EVERY TIME I came into Ft Erie. It was so problematic that eventually I got rid of the account altogether. That was more than 20 years ago, though and I would hope that things have evolved and improved since then.I am still trying to find the setting for Roaming on this phone, and when I do the thing will be permanently turned off ! There are a few messages on this comment and I am still searching.. it is nice to have help from others who have knowledge, thanks everyone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you have a Canada wide plan, you can texts to/from anywhere in Canada and any country at no extra charge as long as you are in Canada.