Koodo Community
Solved

Tab discount

When I first started using KOODO I was told that 10% of my monthly bill was being applied to my tab. When I asked if I could just pay off my tab, I was advised against it because I would lose the 10% discount towards my tab. Well I haven't thought about this in several years, so I called KOODO about it today and she said that there was never a 10% discount applied to the tab. I am confused. I would like to pay off my tab if there is no benefit in keeping a balance on my account each month. Any advice ?
icon

Best answer by David AKU 7 November 2018, 17:42

I think the confusion arises from the wording you are using.

• There was a discount / subsidy applied to a phone when bought with a plan
  • Koodo applied an amount equal to 10% of your monthly bill to reduce this subsidy
  • Once the subsidy was addressed, Koodo continued to apply an amount equal to 10% of your bill up to $150, towards the purchase of a new phone. This amount had no cash equivalent
  • About 2 or 3 years ago Koodo ceased this program, adopting the current Tab plan instead. Anyone having a positive amount in their subsidy account had it converted to a fixed value, to be placed against a future purchase
So, arguably, there was no “Tab discount” at that time, in part, because your bill was not reduced once the subsidy was paid.

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
That tab structure was changed a few years ago. If you check on your self serve your tab should have been paid off by now.
Thank you. The first phone was paid off but my current phone still has a tab balance. I had forgotten about the 10% discount and just assumed it was still in effect. Just recently I thought about looking at my bills and there was no sign of a discount anymore, so no reason not to pay off a tab. When I call KOODO the employees must be new and they tell me that there was never a 10% discount applied to the tab. Thanks again 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wendy Kingsbury wrote:

Thank you. The first phone was paid off but my current phone still has a tab balance. I had forgotten about the 10% discount and just assumed it was still in effect. Just recently I thought about looking at my bills and there was no sign of a discount anymore, so no reason not to pay off a tab. When I call KOODO the employees must be new and they tell me that there was never a 10% discount applied to the tab. Thanks again :)

That sounds like a positive tab
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I think the confusion arises from the wording you are using.
  • There was a discount / subsidy applied to a phone when bought with a plan
  • Koodo applied an amount equal to 10% of your monthly bill to reduce this subsidy
  • Once the subsidy was addressed, Koodo continued to apply an amount equal to 10% of your bill up to $150, towards the purchase of a new phone. This amount had no cash equivalent
  • About 2 or 3 years ago Koodo ceased this program, adopting the current Tab plan instead. Anyone having a positive amount in their subsidy account had it converted to a fixed value, to be placed against a future purchase
So, arguably, there was no “Tab discount” at that time, in part, because your bill was not reduced once the subsidy was paid.
YES! THIS ^^^^ is exactly what I was talking about. When I wanted to pay my phone off several years ago, they encouraged me to keep the tab active, because it was in my benefit. Now, since I no longer hear about this subsidy, I wanted to know if it was still beneficial to keep paying for my phone monthly, or just pay it off. Thanks again....I was starting to think I had lost my mind 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Up to you, really. It's like a zero interest loan or sorts. You'd come out ahead a few bucks from inflation over 2 years.