Koodo Community
Solved

Tab Bonus - need clarification

• 22 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi, I’m having a bit of trouble understanding how this works.  So let’s take two phones currently on sale:

1.  Samsung S20 FE 5G certified pre-owned.  It’s $0 upfront, $480 on the tab, and $330 tab bonus.  So, assuming you stay with Koodo, don’t make any changes, and pay off the entire 24 months, the phone would be $150 total.  OR  is the $480 with $330 already subtracted?
  2. Samsung S20 Ultra 5G.  It’s $408 upfront, $792 on the tab, and $1000 on the tab bonus.  Again, stay for 24 months, no changes, etc. etc., and the phone would be $200!!!  OR again is that deal already with $1000 off factored in?

From what I’m reading, the first of the two conditions is what happens, but it doesn’t make much sense that somehow an Ultra is only $50 more than than FE.  So I’m thinking that the prices on the website phone ads are with the tab bonus factored in, but the explanations I’m reading don’t really make it sound that way.  If it’s true, then it’s a hell of a deal on an Ultra!  

I really would appreciate a clear explanation of how this works.  I don’t seem capable of comprehending this on my own.
Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Dennis 22 March 2021, 04:47

1. You pay $480 with $330 already subtracted and put in the tab bonus that slowly gets reduced until it is zero in 24 months

2. It’s $408 upfront, $792 on the tab you pay over 24 months.  And the $1000 on the tab bonus that gradually gets reduced to zero in 24 months. 

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi, I’m having a bit of trouble understanding how this works.  So let’s take two phones currently on sale:

1.  Samsung S20 FE 5G certified pre-owned.  It’s $0 upfront, $480 on the tab, and $330 tab bonus.  So, assuming you stay with Koodo, don’t make any changes, and pay off the entire 24 months, the phone would be $150 total.  OR  is the $480 with $330 already subtracted?
  2. Samsung S20 Ultra 5G.  It’s $408 upfront, $792 on the tab, and $1000 on the tab bonus.  Again, stay for 24 months, no changes, etc. etc., and the phone would be $200!!!  OR again is that deal already with $1000 off factored in?

From what I’m reading, the first of the two conditions is what happens, but it doesn’t make much sense that somehow an Ultra is only $50 more than than FE.  So I’m thinking that the prices on the website phone ads are with the tab bonus factored in, but the explanations I’m reading don’t really make it sound that way.  If it’s true, then it’s a hell of a deal on an Ultra!  

I really would appreciate a clear explanation of how this works.  I don’t seem capable of comprehending this on my own.
Thank you!

You calculated it incorrectly. The Tab Bonus is separate from the Tab. Koodo deducts the Tab Bonus balance each month until the end of the 24-month period when the Tab balance reaches $0. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Tab-bonus

To clarify this, let me use the two examples you mentioned.

In the first example, you pay $480 for the Samsung S20 FE 5G in total if you don’t make any changes within the 24-month period. If you end up changing it, you will need to pay the Tab charge, as well as the remainder of the Tab Bonus balance.

The same thing applies in the second example. For the Samsung S20 Ultra 5G, you pay $408 upfront and you are charged $792 for the Tab. If you don’t make any changes, you will only pay a total of $1,200. Otherwise, you will have to pay the Tab charge and the remainder of the Tab Bonus balance left on your account. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

1. You pay $480 with $330 already subtracted and put in the tab bonus that slowly gets reduced until it is zero in 24 months

2. It’s $408 upfront, $792 on the tab you pay over 24 months.  And the $1000 on the tab bonus that gradually gets reduced to zero in 24 months. 

OK, thank you, that clarifies things immensely!  If I may ask a follow-up question, would it be safe to assume that if the phone is lost, stolen, or damaged to the point of being unrepairable, then you would also need to pay the remainder of the Tab and Tab Bonus as well?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

OK, thank you, that clarifies things immensely!  If I may ask a follow-up question, would it be safe to assume that if the phone is lost, stolen, or damaged to the point of being unrepairable, then you would also need to pay the remainder of the Tab and Tab Bonus as well?

Only if you leave koodo or try to upgrade with another phone on a tab. 

Much obliged Mobile Masters! :relaxed: